Anybody has any problems with the Schuco spacer just because

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
novice

Anybody has any problems with the Schuco spacer just because

#1 Post by novice »

I like Schuco windows but the spacer is black. A dealer said it would not be so eye irritating once installed; supposedly is has some reflective surface but I haven’t really noticed the difference looking from oher angles. Anybody?

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

This spacer irritates your eyes?

Gotta say I've never heard that one before. (-:
Could you explain your concern a little more? I must not be understanding what is bugging you about it. I'll try to be of help if I can.

novice

#3 Post by novice »

Thanks for the reply. What I meant is that the window and trim are all white exactly as on your picture but the spacer is black and I don’t like that contrast…maybe I just used to steel spacers on my current windows…Anybody has any problems with the contrast as time goes by? Or you just get accustomed to it? Thanks

glassHouse

#4 Post by glassHouse »

novice,

Of course you may be different but I can remember being worrried about a lot of fine details like this and I don't notice these things anymore.

Furthermore, you will find that most people entering your house will never notice such things either.

All bets are off if you have a window expert visit your house of course but that does not happen much in my life.

Just my opinion/experience.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#5 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I could understand if the weatherstripping was black, or the window had marine glazing that was black, but having concerns about the color of the spacer that's not even visible unless you go up close and look sideways between the layers of glass, .....I'm sorry but I just don't get it.

To my eye a metal spacer filled with desiccant beads like you prefer is about as ugly as you can get. (and the coldest) Next in line for uglyness IMO are spacers where you look in between the glass and you see the solid grey desiccant filling the metal spacer channel. Seeing the visible desiccant can only remind you of your spacer's shortcomings...., (would you buy a new boat filled with sponges?) That should bug you way more than color.
BTW, the two best performing and warmest spacers on the market, TPS and Superspacer, both have black spacers. (and SS grey)

But...everybody has different taste. If the color of the spacer really bothers you then by all means choose something else. There are plenty of good windows available and after all, ...it's your home and your money. Get what makes you happy.

novice

#6 Post by novice »

Thanks to all who replied. I"ll make another visit to a showroom to make up my mind. Hopefully I won't pay a lot attention to details once windows are installed. Thanks again to all.

XSleeper

#7 Post by XSleeper »

Novice brings up a good point... maybe companies could start offering custom colors on their spacers. I'd want a red racing stripe on mine! Or maybe some flames. :wink:

Only other colors I know of are aluminum colored spacers (shiny) and grey (superspacer and maybe Intercept?).