Gorell windows -- models 5100 vs. 5300

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
WindowCustomer

Gorell windows -- models 5100 vs. 5300

#1 Post by WindowCustomer »

Can anyone tell me the difference? A salesman is telling me these two models are identical (and is pushing the 5100), but in my head I'm thinking "if they're identical, why is there a separate model #?"

Thanks in advance.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Bad unethical salesman.
They are not identical at all. The 5100 is their lowest cheapest line and has the flimsiest sill I have ever seen in any brand.
On the other hand, the top of their line 5300 is a very solid window and is a much much better choice in every aspect.

WindowCustomer

#3 Post by WindowCustomer »

Thanks. Could I ask for a few details, though? (Because I'm sure the salesman is going to argue otherwise). I'd like to say that "the 5100 line is inferior because..."

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

The first thing I'm asking is why you are still going to talk with him after he's been caught trying to screw you. If you went to buy a Dodge Viper, and I as a salesman tried to sell you a Dodge neon for the same price and told you they were the same car, would you think I was worthy of getting your business?

Most window companies have different quality levels of windows.(They are called drop windows) The lower line windows are made cheaper, thus the cheaper price. In Gorell's case, the line goes from the low end 5100 to the mid range 5200, to their best 5300 series window.
Differences in series of windows can be such things as thinner walls, fewer insulating chambers, no foam insulation on some brands, and less vinyl for structural integrity. I primarily sold Gorell before switching to Schuco, and have sold and installed thousands of Gorells. Please take me at my word when I tell you the difference between the two windows is not a small one.

I would turn it around and tell him if they are the exact same window, then humor you and give you the one that says 5300 on the sticker. After all, they are the same window, right?

WindowCustomer

#5 Post by WindowCustomer »

I don't really think he's trying to trick me (although I guess I'll never know for sure) -- I think he's just not as knowledgeable about windows as the people on this forum.

It's an unusual situation, but I'm still talking to him because I'd save several thousand vs. the corresponding Schuco windows. My understanding from this forum is that Schuco is the #1 window, but Gorell is probably #2 (and a close 2nd at that). PLEASE correct me if I'm misunderstanding that.

My question would be -- if they refuse to give me the Gorell 5300's and stick with the 5100's, is the 5100 series "bad" (as in, should I cancel the contract, because I don't want bad windows) -- or is it still a very good product, just not quite as good as the 5300's?

Thanks again for your advice, I do appreciate it.

windowmannjny

#6 Post by windowmannjny »

window customer, i have sold/installed Gorell as well. i certainly dont think that the 5100 line has the flimsiest sill out there on the market today...not even close, as for that matter which sill are you looking at? they make a step sill and a sloped sill. as far as the windows being the same, they are definetly not the same as you "cleverly deducted" from the different model #s (5100-5300) they also make a 5200 line which only a select few offer. what your salesman probably meant to say was that the glass packages are the same whether you choose the 5100 or 5300 line. low-e argon, low-e krypton triple pane, clear glass, armor glass, etc. can be used in any of their models, which would keep the same u-value/r-value etc. there is a difference in the millwork and the bulk of the vinyl frame between the 2 models some opt for the 5100 for a slimmer look. i hope this helps as i tried to keep it simple. what glass package did you choose and what are you trying to achieve by installing new windows will help determine whether you should proceed or abort this job.

WindowCustomer

#7 Post by WindowCustomer »

I don't know anything about the sills on the 5100, that was never mentioned by the salesman.

I'm replacing all the windows in my house (about 20 windows, and 2 sliding glass doors). Some have broken seals, others seem like they are in the process of going. (Windows are 11 years old, and were put in by the builder, so I'm sure they're the cheapest quality possible).

I guess my primary motivation is to find the windows which will be most efficient in terms of heating/cooling the house, and just in general, whatever is the best window.

For the Gorell windows, I am getting the Thermal package (triple-pane, krypton). My understanding is that is Gorell's best glass/gas package. But I don't want to put that into an inferior frame. So if the 5100 model is not good quality, I don't want it. Is the Gorell 5100 a very good quality window, or one to be avoided?

windowmannjny

#8 Post by windowmannjny »

i have used both, my preference is the 5300 line, but i do not feel that the 5100 with triple pane low-e krypton is by any means a low end unit. as always assuming that it is installed properly. like Windows4u said... if the salesman says there is no difference, then tell him that you would like the 5300 series then say "after all they are the same window right" And tell him that you want the sloped sill

WindowCustomer

#9 Post by WindowCustomer »

Guys -- sorry for beating this issue to death.

I took what you said into account. I even called the Gorell corporate office, and spoke to someone who told me
(a) the 5300 has more vinyl extrusions (more vinyl in the window);
(b) the master frame is foam-filled (so better insulation)
(c) the exterior is foam-wrapped (so better insulation)
They agreed that it was definitely a better window.

When I speak to my distributor, however, he mentioned that
(a) the 5300 looks "uglier" (his words) -- the additional vinyl is not on the inside of the frame (as I was thinking), but actually results in less glass space, and so is not as attractive. (Also mentioned something about a "bead").

(b) mentioned that the 5300 is primarily for commercial purposes, not residential (which no one had mentioned to me before, but in fairness, it never occurred to me to ask).

He also mentioned that he really doesn't deal with the 5300's much at all, so perhaps he is speaking out of ignorance.

Questions:
1. Is (a) or (b) true?

2. BTW, I'm buying about 18 windows (15 double-hung [mostly 36 x 61], 3 picture, and one 3-part slider, triple-pane krypton), and two sliding glass doors. Going with this distributor is going to save me about $4,000. I'm assuming that's worth it -- rather than pay 4K more for the Schuco's (Corona 4000). Do you concur?

3. Assuming (a) and (b) are false and I should still go with the 5300's, the distributor may be open to me paying the difference between the 5100s and the 5300s. Does anyone have a ballpark estimate as to what this difference should be? When they call back, I'd like to know what a fair difference is price is between the two models.

Thanks again, I'm so grateful for your help.

windowmannjny

#10 Post by windowmannjny »

just curious- where do you live?

WindowCustomer

#11 Post by WindowCustomer »

I'm in Maryland.

By the way, I just called Gorell corporate again, and today's story is that both windows are really good, it's just a matter of preference. (E.g. "yes, the 5300 has more vinyl so it's a stronger window, but on the odd circumstance that the 5100 had a crack in the vinyl, it'd be covered under your warranty anyway. I have 5100's in my home..."). This is a different song than what I was told yesterday. It makes me a tad uncomfortable when the answer you get about a product depends upon the person you speak to.

windowmannjny

#12 Post by windowmannjny »

it will always be that way with just about anything that you purchase in any industry. i would opt out for the 5300 as i feel that it is a better window

WindowCustomer

#13 Post by WindowCustomer »

The dealer is now coming back and saying that for my windows (15 double-hung [mostly 36 x 61], 3 picture, and one 3-part slider, all triple-pane krypton) to switch from the Gorell 5100 to the Gorell 5300 will be "about $2000". Does that price seem reasonable? I guess it's a lot more than I was expecting.

windowmannjny

#14 Post by windowmannjny »

tell him to make it $1K and you will do the job, you will get a good quality window and if you spent a little more than you expected...so what, in the long run you will be happy with the product. remember the 5300 has a wider vinyl frame to it and the millwork is a little different, so make sure you see the 5100 & 5300 side by side to make sure you like the look.