Patio Doors: Simonton Pro Finish vs Reflections 5500

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
oceanengineer

Patio Doors: Simonton Pro Finish vs Reflections 5500

#1 Post by oceanengineer »

I am trying to decide between Simonton Pro Finish Patio Doors and the Reflections 5500 series. The price differential between the two for 6x8 foot sliding doors is about $250 - $350 for (96X80) with another $84 to upgrade to the superspacer (from the Pro Finish to the Reflections). I am replacing 4 72X80 inch doors and 1 96X80.

I have not been able to see either door - I have a brochure on the 5500 doors (and like what I see) but nothing on the Pro Finish (other than what is on the website). based on what I can tell the Pro Finish is a lower end model compared to the 5500 (based on the fact that the base model is air-filled, does not have tempered glass, and no superspacer upgrade).

My contractor says he will provide either door but thinks I am wasting my money if I go with the Reflections 5500 series. I have already decided to go with the 5500 windows with superspacer (over the 5300 series) and will probably go with the 5500 series patio doors - just wanted to see if anyone had more info on the differences / quality between the two models to help confirm my decision.

Thanks

randy

#2 Post by randy »

The ProFinish is Simonton's new construction series. It has fewer hollow chambers within and thinner walls. Stick with the 5500 series for strength and longevity. Your contractor worries me. He has given you bad advice in the past as well.

You can see the 5500 series patio door at West End on Hwy 6 at 290.

oceanengineer

#3 Post by oceanengineer »

Thanks for the input and the address for West End - I had not called them as yet but they are just a few miles from my office so I will go over lunch on Monday.

I think my contractor is concerned that if his total price is too high then I may decide against getting the work done - I am also having my siding replaced at the same time so I am looking to spending close to 25-30k for both jobs depending on the window and paint options I choose.

I have told him that I'm just trying to make sure that I just want to do this once and though I recognize that in the short-term (which is very Houston with people moving to larger homes every 5-7 years) the windows/doors he has quoted me would probably be fine - in my case I don't mind spending 10% more to get what I determine to be a better quality product as I have no plans to move (probably stay in the same home another 15 years+).

Do the prices he has indicated for the upgrades seem reasonable?

Thanks

randy

#4 Post by randy »

I would say the up-charge is reasonable, although I don't ever sell the Pro Finish products, so I'm not sure of the pricing on them.

Unless you have a ton of siding, you should have no problem staying within budget. Good luck.

oceanengineer

#5 Post by oceanengineer »

Thanks Randy.

Actually its a lot of siding as well - about 19-20 squares with a lot of trim and fascia. One of the reasons I am looking at getting one contractor to do both windows and siding is that I need to have a few window openings modified (in an addition they start from the slab and I want to raise them 18-24 inches) and also some other repair work done at the same time.

I also want to make sure that the windows, vapor barrier and siding installation is coordinated to make sure they are done right and the windows are properly installed and sealed. I am having all windows / doors wrapped with fiberglass insulation before being installed and also making sure that they interface is protected from leaks elsewhere in the siding.

randy

#6 Post by randy »

That's one of the nice things about doing your windows and siding simultaneously. Using the nailing fin with house wrap can give you a superior seal around the perimeter.

I assume you are getting Hardiplank siding, and if so, you should look at some jobs where the siding was run to the window with the 1 x 4 trim board installed over the siding, versus the 1 x 4 being installed first, up against the window, with the siding butted up to the outside edge of the 1 x 4.

Most crews will do the former, but I think the latter provides a cleaner look and tighter seal.