HELP Needed - Schuco vs. Simonton 9800/5500

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
nationals fan

HELP Needed - Schuco vs. Simonton 9800/5500

#1 Post by nationals fan »

Hi all,

I've seen great recommendations here for both the Schuco and the Simonton 5500 w/Superspacer. But I'm having a little trouble comparing them, understanding which is a better window for me. Also the Simonton 9800 is in the picture. I had gotten an initial quote on the 5500 that was significantly less than the Schucos, but then I learned information about that installer that scared me off. I found another Simonton installer with a great customer satisfaction record, but their quote (for 5500 w/ Superspacer and for 9800) is almost the same as the Schuco quote, which has complicated my decision.

What should I be thinking about in comparing these 3 products? What real differences can I expect in performance and durability? I've seen some posts here describe the Schuco as high end and the Simonton as a very good mid-tier. What does that mean? The Schuco appears to be built like a tank, but kinda looks bulkier, more boxy than the Simontons. Is that others' impressions as well? Is the loss of glass area for any of these products less than the others?

Finally, I'm in Maryland -- is triple pane overkill here? I've heard triplepane windows are much heavier.

Thanks for your help.

WindDoze

#2 Post by WindDoze »

NationalsFan

Having experiance selling all three windows you are looking at -- I have to say, you really won't be going wrong no matter which window you ultimately choose.
My .02 worth:

1.) Simonton is a larger company, and their delivery and service from a dealer standpoint has a faster turnaround than Schuco.
2.) All three windows (assuming you are looking at triple pane with superspacer on the Simontons and triple pane with TPS on the Schuco) are among the "best of the best" in the vinyl window market. Here in MN, 90% of the windows I sell are triple pane. It makes a big difference in comfort on the real cold nights.
3.) I think the consensus you will find here is that the Schuco is the better built, better engineered of the two. I believe that as well. However, and I'm going to say this as diplomatically as I can, Schuco's sales have increased to the point it is taxing their production capability. If your order comes in with a mistake that requires a reorder of a part, it will take longer to get corrected than it would with Simonton. Simonton's one week turnaround on delivery is the best in the business. No one else comes close. Schuco will ultimately correct its errors, it just takes a little longer. My Schuco customers LOVE their new windows. I've never had so many raving fans with any other window. It just makes it tougher for me to close out jobs, when I have to wait 4, 5, or 6 weeks to get a replacement part.

Compare the contractor records of the guys who actually are going to do the install, work the best price you can with the guy you feel most comfortable with, and feel confident in your decision. Enjoy your new windows

randy

#3 Post by randy »

I too have experience with both products and completely agree with WindDoze.

However, if I lived in the Northern part of the U.S., and the pricing was comparable, I would go with the Schuco Corona 4000 and put up with the longer lead times. I'm not convinced that Simonton's 1 week manufacturing turn-a-round is such a good thing.