Gorell vs. Schuco -- a comparison

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
WindowCustomer

Gorell vs. Schuco -- a comparison

#1 Post by WindowCustomer »

Gentlemen,

When speaking with a window contractor about Gorell vs. Schuco, he stated:

"The biggest potential problem with vinyl windows is seal failure because of expansion and contraction. Schuco has eliminated this
problem with the TPS Max spacer system. The other big advantage is they use UPVC vinyl which is pure vinyl compared to Gorell's
that has fillers. The last point is the Krypton in Schuco's glass is filled to 99.7%. No other manufacturer can guarantee more than 75%."

My questions are:
1) Is this all true? Do I have cause to be concerned about seal failure if I go with Gorell? Does Gorell use less-than-pure vinyl (that's not what I was told by Gorell)? What % of krypton does Gorell use?

2) Are these differences worth a 3K difference in price? (My current situation).

Thank you in advance.

InfoSponge

#2 Post by InfoSponge »

Seal failure is a real problem, and Schuco's TPS seems to be one of the best in preventing that, but probably not all that much better than a properly-applied SuperSpacer or XLEdge spacer in that respect. TPS/SuperSpacer are both also very energy-efficient. The common Intercept spacer probably falls below all of those in both categories.

All vinyl windows use uPVC. Everyone's definition of "100% virgin vinyl" seems a little different, but if a reliable manufacturer tells you 100%, I'd take them at their word and take advantage of their warranty if something goes wrong.

It is true that some companies like Schuco offer higher gas fill rates because of the process used to fill the windows, but the energy efficiency difference of 85% and 99% is not all that huge, assuming the gas doesn't dissipate much more over time (you need a good spacer). That said, 99% Krypton does beat 85% Krypton, so if you want the best, it will cost a little more. A higher-end Gorell window isn't a bad window, though.

windowmannjny

#3 Post by windowmannjny »

was this a schuco rep that explained this to you or one that reps both schuco AND Gorell windows? there are also many more factors to consider before judging whether an extra 3K is worth the investment.. which window models are they quoting you? as far as holding up and warranty issues go, who knows if either company will be in the vinyl business in 5 10 15 20 years? as of today they both make a nice product assuming you are looking at their top models

WindowCustomer

#4 Post by WindowCustomer »

It was a Schuco rep who said this.

I am comparing the Schuco Corona 4000 (triple-paned, Krypton) to the Gorell 5100 Thermal (triple-paned, Krypton).

As an aside -- is there any way to tell what % the Gorell window is filled with krypton? (I'm guessing not). And if the seal starts to break down, and the % drops to, say, 20% -- would I definitely see signs of this (e.g. condensation between the panes) or might it go on like this for some time without any sort of indication? Maybe if the inside panes are cold? (but that's relative -- how cold would it have to be to indicate a problem -- if that is even a factor).

I guess I'm thinking, since the Gorell has a lifetime warranty on everything, if the krypton leaks out, I could just get it replaced for free -- but could I TELL that the krypton has leaked out?

InfoSponge

#5 Post by InfoSponge »

The 5100 isn't Gorell's top of the line window. You might also look at the 5200 or 5300 if you are comparing to a Schuco. I think all those Gorell models come with the mid-range Intercept spacer I mentioned before.

If Gorell is worth their salt, they can tell you what their average fill % is, but you can't reasonably test it yourself, since the equipment to do so costs many thousands of dollars. Before that scientific equipment hit the market, the test basically involved breaking the seal/glass to take a gas sample, which basically ruined the window.

Even if much of the Krypton escapes, it may take several years before enough water vapor sneaks in and condensation shows, which is one reason choosing a high-quality spacer is so important - to minimize this leakage chance in the first place. I don't know if Gorell covers gas leakage or fill % in their warranty, but I doubt it. They probably do cover condensation between panes (most companies do), but manufacturers know that "material obstruction" from condensation is a slow process, and the owners have usually left the house by the time it appears, even with mid-range spacers like the PPG Intercept.