new windows and air leak?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
netmouse

new windows and air leak?

#1 Post by netmouse »

i have new vinyl double hung windows. they seemed fine. but today the temperature is in the low 20's and a very strong wind - they say gusts up to 50 miles. on some windows I can feel with my hand tiny cold air stream in the middle where the sashes meet but only at the very ends/sides. Very small but detectable. When weather gets this nasty, is this normal? that tells me when weather is better, there may still be the smallest leak even if i cannot feel it.

usmarine0352

#2 Post by usmarine0352 »

Are these new construction?

What kind of windows are they?

You can also hold a candle next to the windows, on the light breeze days and see if anything is coming through. But obviously if you can already feel it coming through, your having problems.

Guy

#3 Post by Guy »

Without knowing the window manufacturer, there are a couple things that would make your window leak air at this location. First of all make sure the two sashes are pulled together and the locks are in the locked position. I don't mean any disrespect in any way but I've been called out many times for air leaking only to find the locks aren't engaged. The locking mechanism pulls the two sashes together when used.

The area where your two sashes meet (the meeting rails) have what they call an "Interlock" which locks the two sashes together to stop air flow (and also the old credit card trick that they use on TV to break in). In the diagram below I have the blue representing the sashes and the red representing the interlock.

If you raise the lower sash up and tilt the sash down as if you were going to wash the exterior glass you'll see these interlocks. Usually there are small pads at each end of the interlock on the upper sash. This stops air from migrating through the interlock and into your home. Some manufacturers don't have these pads or they have some kind of weather stripping that runs across the entire sash rail. If you have the weather stripping just make sure it's not hanging out of the grove on one side or the other. If it is just slide it back in place with a small regular screwdriver. If there is nothing visibly wrong after looking these options over then look in both of the vertical frame pockets where the installer should have installed the screws. In most cases there is a screw in each corner and a good installer will have two more screws at the center of each side where the two sashes lock. Occasionally they screw the anchor to tight and puncture the frame material. This will sometimes cause an air leak around the screw. Some manufacturers send out little foam hole plugs that go in the anchoring holes to seal them shut. You should be able to see any problems pretty easily.

If none of these things are present or even if they are, call the installers back to make corrections. You shouldn't have any air flow coming through your new windows. Good Luck!!! http://www.installationmastersinc.com/i ... erlock.jpg
Last edited by Guy on Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:31 am, edited 4 times in total.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

First, no windows are 100% airtight unless they are picture windows.

If you are only feeling the very slightest of drafts at the checkrail ends in winds up to 50 mph, then depending on brand, the window may very well be performing within the margins of it's published air infiltration rates. Many of the major double hung windows on the market have tested air infiltration rates of .10 - .25 cubic feet per minute of air leakage. You can't expect one of these windows with these type rates to be 100% airtight in 50 mph winds.

On the other hand, if they leak in normal wind conditions, you need to get service.