Gorell 5155 v. Great Lakes Grandview 5000

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jcsylvan

Gorell 5155 v. Great Lakes Grandview 5000

#1 Post by jcsylvan »

I am new poster but have used the site to teach myself about vinyl replacement windows. Since people on here seem very knowledgeable I am hoping for some feedback on 2 products.

We are looking to replace [b]30 double hung windows[/b] (original windows in 1920 house). We really like the features of the Gorell, esp. the armor glass and have a good bid on 5155 from a local company i liked, but how do Gorells match up against [b]great lakes grandview 5000[/b].

Also does anyone have experience with laminated glass? With one floor right on the street, we'd like the added security/noise effect advertised in the Gorells. Can anyone else do that? Thanks.

Bill

#2 Post by Bill »

Laminated glass does a great job at cutting out street noise and the added security feature is a big plus for windows at ground level.

Several window manufacturers now have this option available including Simonton and Shuco to name two company’s that manufacture high quality windows. Simonton windows area available in most of the country.

Bill

JScott

#3 Post by JScott »

Both are good windows. I believe great lakes is overpriced for what you get as compared to Gorell. The Armor glass is the only glass that if broken into, Gorell will pay up to 1K of your insurance deductable. Many companies can get laminated glass. Hope this helps.

jcsylvan

uniframes v. grandviews.

#4 Post by jcsylvan »

Thanks very much for these replies--part of why I like this site so much.

Many have commented on the great lakes uniframe windows, but I couldnt find even one review of the great lakes grandview line and I was wondering whether they are substantively similar in terms of performance and reliability (notwithstanding their different features).

I feel pretty comfortable with the Gorells--I know there may be better windows out there but they seem to sell a solid safe energy efficient product for the price, great lakes are still a bit of a mystery to me though.

InfoSponge

#5 Post by InfoSponge »

JScott, do you have a link to more details in the armor glass warranty concerning break-ins? I'm curious what restrictions they have in place and all I was able to find was a quote from Wayne Gorell that they offer the guarantee, but without details.

I've tested trying to break both tempered and laminated glass, and it is harder than with normal glass, it still cracks with a blow from a small sharp head hammer, which makes me think it isn't that all that much more protection to a determined/prepared thief (I can certainly imagine it stopping a casual/unprepared thief). Is Armor Glass different from normal laminated glass in some way I'm not aware of? They both seem to use a polyvinyl butyral layer between the layers of glass, so I would assume similar performance, but I don't really know.

InfoSponge

#7 Post by InfoSponge »

nojo, I'm looking for the specific text of the breakin warranty (exclusions, length, etc.) and anything technical about how Armor glass might or might not differ from standard laminated glass (different interlayer chemical composition, different thickness, comparative testing results, etc.). The links you posted seem to be the general marketing info, without any of technical goodies.