window / installation suggestions

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
MT-transplant

window / installation suggestions

#1 Post by MT-transplant »

Please forgive me if this post seems long, but I wanted to give all the relevant information up front. I own a townhouse and in which I want to replace all of the windows (4) and add another one to existing construction as part of a larger remodeling project. The new window would be placed where a non-functioning wood fireplace now sits in the living room. (I want to put a gas one in a different corner of the living room) I am a complete newbie to evaluating windows and (maybe even more importantly) selecting and hiring the people that will install the new windows. So I’m asking for any advice that you all can give on this process.

The current window units are comprised two separate aluminum-framed windows. Double paned glass on the inside window and a separate single paned storm window on the outside. The windows are drafty, frost-up, and were poorly installed in the mid-80s when the place was built. Association stipulations specify that I must use windows with a brown exterior and that they must be sliders (although, I’m going to try to get a variance allowing the new widow to be a bay window with single hung venting sides). In addition to the new window, I want to modify the size of one of the other windows (making it smaller in height). The townhouse has vinyl siding exterior.

I’m wondering if anyone would be willing to give me suggestions on windows I should look at? I’ve already looked at Infinity Windows (Marvin) and “Swing and Clean” [UltraMax] windows (Alside). I am going to look at Pella’s Impervia line next weekend when Minnesota thaws out a bit. Does anyone know anything about how Eagle windows compare to those listed above? How about Wellington windows? Any others that would work with the association requirements?

Next, I’d be interested in hearing from anyone who has had windows installed as part of a larger project or hearing from those of you who are professional installers. How does this all work? Do I find and hire a contractor to take the old fireplace out and do the work associated with this job (finish the walls behind it, cap the chimney, etc…) and then hire a separate team to install the windows or would a single person/team do all the work?

Finally, has anyone ever put in a window in a home that has vinyl siding? How hard is it to purchase a small amount of siding and the J-channels needed for around the window? My siding is three years old and is a Corning product. When the association voted to re-side we had the opportunity to put in the Alside windows listed above at that time by the same company that received the siding contract. We were given no other choice of windows, the prices seemed excessive, and after observing their job with siding I knew that I didn’t want this company anywhere near my windows.

Thank you for any and all suggestions!

MT-transplant

#2 Post by MT-transplant »

Well, over a 100 views and no replies. I guess my post wasn’t well received. Maybe too long, too many questions? Perhaps it was thought, “Dumb woman, do some research yourself…” Okay, I’ve read a lot online and the books I’ve been getting from windows I’ve looked at and I’m beginning to dream about U-factors, R-factors, visible transmittance, air infiltration, and condensation resistance factors. I took a half-day off of work to go and look at the Eagle Windows. The place turned out to also sell Marvin windows and the salesman told me that they were much better and didn’t seem interested in showing me the Eagles. These were aluminum-clad ones that came in custom sizes. I must have misunderstood the other Marvin dealer because I understood that these windows only came in standard “contractor sizes”. Anyway, I got rough prices for these windows. The prices do not include installation. I would have to find someone to do that part.

C GL – XO 35’ x 35’ $565.93 ea. x 1
C GL – XO 70.5” x 46” $765.14 ea. x 1
C GL –XO 46.5” x 46” $638.60 ea. x 2
C GL – XO 60” x 44” $690.83 ea. x 1 or $1818.69 for a bay window for similar opening. The second and fourth listed windows were supposed to be XOX windows but he couldn’t get the computer to take it and said that these prices would be close.

Are these prices about average? Does anyone have any ideas about what I could expect to pay for installation? I know this is a touchy subject and I don’t want to cause dissention. I’m really just trying to figure out if this whole window replacement thing is even possible budget wise. I’m really just feeling a little bit scared that I’m going to spend a bunch of money and then find out that I was taken. I grew up in small-town Montana where you knew just about everyone in the valley. There was no "researching around for deals" worrying about what kind of job you were going to get. You just called the person you knew or knew of, told them what you needed, asked what they would recommend and how much it would cost, and handed them the keys to the house. Naïve? Maybe. But that ‘s how it used to be done. I know it’s not that way anymore.

Tonight I also received a call from someone selling Great Lakes Windows. I don’t know how they found out I was looking for windows, but they knew me by name. They wanted to come tomorrow night and show me their windows and do some measurements. I did some reading on this board. Am I correct that the general consensus is that these windows are above average but overpriced?

Any comments from you knowledgeable folks would really be appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. I know this site is the VINYL window site. I registered first and was approved on this site. I’ve registered on the other one but haven’t been approved. I don’t want to double post but if you all think my questions belong on the other site please say so.

riddlewh

#3 Post by riddlewh »

Not being in the industry I can't say for sure, but those prices sans installation seem high to me.