Question on Polaris Ultraweld Supreme Glass windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
cjake625

Question on Polaris Ultraweld Supreme Glass windows

#1 Post by cjake625 »

We recently had our original wood windows and patio door replaced with Polaris Ultraweld Supreme Glass vinyl windows. I just stumbled upon this website (wish I would of found it earlier) and I am looking for some opinions on these windows. It is not that I am unhappy with these windows just wondering if I purchased good replacement windows.

We are located in northern Illinois (Rockford area) and the weather has been very cold this past week (as you probably already now). We are experiencing some ice (on the north facing windows) and some moisture on the other windows. Not alot just around the bottom edge of the windows. We do have blinds on the windows and do close them at night. Just wondering if this is normal and to be expected.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

You purchased that company's top window with their best double pane glass. (They do have better triple/Heat Mirror glass packages). It is probably performing to the level to which it was engineered to do. If you have major air leakage through or around the windows, then that would of course nullify that statement.

Your spacer is Intercept, which is better than aluminum metal tube spacers, but is still steel. This type spacer will still transfer quite a bit of cold from the outside to the inside pane, which as you can see can allow condensation and ice to form rather easily in the right conditions.
The blinds when closed will lower the glass temperature even further which can make the situation worse. If you can install the blinds so that air can flow above the blinds and circulate air behind, this may help.

This type of issue is why I push windows with triple glazing and non-metallic spacers such as TPS and SuperSpacer. I've been doing windows for 30+ years and years ago finally got tired of taking all those phone calls from customers complaining to me in weather like this that their windows have ice or condensation. The triple paned windows I sell provide a lower chance of condensation, a warmer experience when sitting next to the windows on a cold day, and of course the extra energy savings......and I haven't had an interior condensation phone call for a long time.