Gorell 5305 Simonton 9800 or Schucco 4000???

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Zoeman02

Gorell 5305 Simonton 9800 or Schucco 4000???

#1 Post by Zoeman02 »

Advice greatly appreciated...I'm looking to replace all the windows in my house (16 DH) along with 1 awning and 1 large Transom rectangle shaped window 5 to 6 foot. I had been pricing vinyl replacement windows and was deciding between Schucco 4000 triple pane with Krypton ($15,600.00 price quote) or Gorell 5500 triple pane with Krypton ($9,500.00) price quote. One big concern I have with Gorell is their “Intercept spacer” compared with Schucco's TPS spacer. I plan on staying in this home for the next 25 years plus. Is Schucco worth an additional $6,000???

Now a whole new monkey wrench has been thrown into the mix. Since I am also replacing my aluminum siding with vinyl, several contractors have now strongly recommended that I install "new construction windows" versus just replacement windows. I realize this is going to add some to the cost, but all in all it does make more sense correct???

What is the BEST brand for new construction windows that has the BEST spacer? (Spacer is something to truly be concerned about correct?) I want triple pane with Krypton and I need to have an idea of what to expect for an installation price for double hungs per window? (Is triple pane with Krypton really the way to go if I’m going to stay in this house for 20-25 plus years?) I live in Buffalo, NY…Brrr

I have read many reviews on this discussion board and now feel I should look into the Simonton 9800 series. Is this window comparable to Schucco and what price can I expect for a double hung Simonton 9800 series upgraded with triple pane/krypton and Superspacer? (Too bad there is not some baseline price list to add options and get a honest feel for the price of a window.) Should I no longer even consider the Gorell 5305 series just because of their Intercept Spacer? I have a direct Gorell distributor that can provide me with their product for several hundred dollars less per window than Schucco. Except for the spacers how does Gorell compare to Simonton and how does Simonton compare to Schucco? I want the best window and just need to know if there is anything that really is apples to apples for less to the Schucco product. If I'm going to only pay say $100.00 less per window for Simonton 9800 series, than I would consider paying the Schucco price, but the Gorell 5305 is $350 plus less than Schucco. So, do I go with Gorell, Schucco or now look into Simonton. How do all of these compare when considering replacements or new construction or are there better new construction windows out there that I'm not aware of??? Any advice is greatly welcomed and

InfoSponge

#2 Post by InfoSponge »

Intercept isn't the world's best spacer, but it works well enough, and it isn't worth an extra $6000 to go with Schuco just for the upgraded spacer, assuming you are happy with the Gorell installer and window operation/looks. The Schuco TPS spacer and Simonton's SuperSpacer are both very efficient and durable spacers.

New construction windows can give you a little more glass space but require more labor. Either method will work fine, and provide a good moisture/air seal if done right. It is a tradeoff of time/cost and glass space in many cases. Many brands that are traditional replacement brands also offer a full frame new construction window.

You'll probably find that a Simonton 9800 installation can be had for cheaper than the Schuco quote. I think they are comparable quality windows, though the Schuco is a tad better, in my opinion. So, I'd rate all three windows as good enough for many situations, but from good to best I'd rate them Gorell then Simonton 9800 then Schuco 4000.

Did they really quote you a Gorell 5500 or the 5300?

Zoeman02

#3 Post by Zoeman02 »

Hello:

Thanks for your opinion. I was quoted Gorell 5305 series, but I would definitely verify that's actually the window I’m getting upon delivery by looking for the sticker and checking the invoice. (I’ve read about the bait and switch on these discussion boards). I have yet to actually talk to a Simonton distributor to get a quote from them, so I'll do that today. Ironically, the Schucco distributor has been calling and wants to come down on his price...saying that I'm so highly informed and educator he wants to be able to use my name as a reference for another female customer in Ithaca to get in contact with me (use me as a marketing tool) and apparently has been in contact with HIS boss and they now want to negotiate a "better price". I didn't call him back last night, make him wait a little longer...I'm going to call him today. The Gorell price for the 16 DH’s with triple pane & Krypton with 6 of the windows having grids on both top and bottom sash’s completely installed for vinyl replacements is about $7,300.00 so we'll see what Schucco can offer me????
Thanks again, I’ll let you know the final outcome.

windowmannjny

#4 Post by windowmannjny »

it sounds like the gorell guy might be a little more honest than your schuco guy. $7300. sounds very reasonable for what he is giving you, sounds like the schuco guy if he can come down a large amount was trying to get you for all your $$$ the first time around. do you feel comfortable with that?