Soft-lite Imperial or Alside Excalibur?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
drafty

Soft-lite Imperial or Alside Excalibur?

#1 Post by drafty »

We are looking to buy either Soft-lite Imperial windows (casement and double hung), or Alside's Excalibur windows. We would appreciate any opinions on the two types. Are they both midrange in price as well as performance? Are they both reliable as far as longevity, sturdiness? Supposedly their U rating is about the same. We have gotten estimates of $6100 for both brands. Each is 7/8" insulated, Low E coated, Argon filled glass, with intercept spacer. Can the spacer be upgraded to super spacer with everything else left the same? There are 10 double hung, 1 2 lite slider and 2 single casement units. All will have colonial style grids (top and bottom), except the casements which will have etched Florentine pattern. Do the quotes seem reasonable? Any help is appreciated.

Delaware Mike

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

The Imperial can be upgraded to Super Spacer. The sill on the Imperial should be much better than on the Alside product.

drafty

#3 Post by drafty »

Thanks for the reply Delaware Mike. I believe we will upgrade to the super spacer, but I'm a little confused. There seems to be different grades of super spacer shown at there webb site. We are going with the Soft-lite Imperial and the contractor said the upgrade would add about $200 to the job. But he didn't mention different grades of the spacer. Is there a noticeable difference between the standard and premium super spacer? I thought there was some mention of the different dew point reaction of the standard and premium (no idea what it meant). Can you explain if there is?

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

I'm not aware of any other type of Super Spacer from Soft-Lite. One can chose either double or triple glazing with the Super Spacer from Soft-Lite. Is your window dealer an authorized Soft-Lite vendor? The reason I ask this is because Soft-Lite has re-designed your Imperial DH-10 and you are going to be really upset if you get the old style model after you see the new one. Also, if you plan to add more double-hung units in the future to match what you have purchased as of now you may be out of luck in a few years. Just ask all of those Great Lakes customers who now can't get sashes for all of their failed Intercept IG units.

I would make sure that you get the Imperial LS model. If you are dealing with a private contractor who is purchasing the product through a supply house you may have to do some more homework as he may only know what the guys at the counter are up to date on.