Simonton Prism Platinum vs Reflections 5500

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
oceanengineer

Simonton Prism Platinum vs Reflections 5500

#1 Post by oceanengineer »

After putting my window/siding project on hold for a few months my preferred contractor indicated that he is now only selling the Prism Line rather than the Reflection Series (changed distributors). I had quotations from him for the Reflections 5500 with superspacer and he said he would still honor those quotes with the Prism Platinum. After spending a lot of time doing research on the 5500 I have to start again with the Prism Platinum.

In reviewing the specs on the website they seem very similar - are the two windows that similar or are there quality differences between the two types? I am looking at windows and patio doors with the superspacer upgrade with either option. Are there any advantages of one over the other - from what I can see they look the same but it is difficult to tell from a picture. Its just if they are as similar as they seem why does Simonton have different series of windows (reflections and prism)?

Any input would be appreciated - I am really trying to get this project started as my wife is beginning to lose patience!

Bill

#2 Post by Bill »

They are exactly the same window from any logical perspective. That meaning the Main frame, sash, weather-stripping and performance is the same when both are equipped with similar glass systems. So put the Super Spacer in the Platinum and no further research is required.

The only thing that makes them different is the name printed on the lock and Prism has one additional interior wood grain color that is not available in the 5500.

Norandex is Simonton’s largest customer to the point that they have their own private label program. Simonton has similar programs with Sears, Home Depot Installed Services and Owens-Corning all based on the Reflections or Impressions lines that carry Simonton’s name.

Bill

oceanengineer

#3 Post by oceanengineer »

Bill

Thanks for the response. Good to know I won't be researching windows for the next few weeks.

I noticed that the Prism Platinum also has a 3-year glass breakage warranty included that is an additional bonus.