SPRING HOME SHOWS

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

SPRING HOME SHOWS

#1 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Spring Home Show season is upon us. Are any of you homeowners going to any Spring Home Shows this spring to shop windows?

Have any of you been to a Show already?
If so, did you see anything that impressed you, ....or disappointed you?

Tell us your thoughts....

VRWAdmin
Site Admin

#2 Post by VRWAdmin »

Excellent thought for a new thread. Perhaps we could open it up to the other side as well. Any pro’s out there who have exhibited at shows; how was it, impressions of the traffic, sales made?

What was your impression of the shows, and was their a reasonable ROI? What was good and what might you do differently?

Perhaps a virtual meeting of the minds could help both sellers and buyers. Lots of effort goes into the shows, they are an excellent means for buyers to meet, greet and actually touch the products they may buy.

Thanks for opening this Window4U

VRW Admin

Oberon

#3 Post by Oberon »

I agree!

I am planning to visit the Minneapolis Home Show on Friday - assuming that the 16" of blowing wet snow that is forecast for Wednesday thru Friday doesn't affect my ability to travel there.

WinDoze, if you happen to read this - are you going to be there?

Guy, any chance you will be heading downtown this weekend?

Window4U (IL)

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

This weekend is my first show so I don't know how the shows have gone so far this season. I'll be manning my Schuco window display at a home show at the Tinley Park Holiday Inn Convention center this weekend. I'm hoping the show will be a good one.

Anybody else got one in your area this weekend you'll be working? If so, where will you be?

Tackleberry

#5 Post by Tackleberry »

I have not been to a home show before.

Is there a website to find a list of all home shows in the chicagoland/suburb areas?

Are there typically representatives for the window companies there? or contractors that sell/install the windows?

LifeV

#6 Post by LifeV »

I'm going to the NJ Home Show this weekend. If you are a PSEG constumer, you get free admission.

http://www.pseg.com/customer/home/pdf/h ... d=homeshow

I will prolly go either friday evening or Saturday.

Window4U (IL)

#7 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Tackleberry wrote:I have not been to a home show before.

Is there a website to find a list of all home shows in the chicagoland/suburb areas?

Are there typically representatives for the window companies there? or contractors that sell/install the windows?
These shows are contractors showing their products, not the manufacturers themselves for the most part. Here are a couple home show websites for Chicagoland. There are others too.

http://www.homeshowpros.com/
http://www.myhomeshow.com

My next show is with the "homeshow.com" people at Naperville (North Central College) on March 16, 17 and 18.

I just got done with last weeks show and am happy to report it went very well, especially on Sunday. I had a few dozen people wanting estimates which is always good. So far, my feeling is that it is the best show out of the ones I've done the last few years. Hopefully, this is a positive sign for a good year.

billdsmith

#8 Post by billdsmith »

This past weekend I attended the Maryland Home and Garden Show at the Timonium Fairgrounds. They take a break during the week and conclude this weekend (March 9 to 11).

As a consumer I found the shows to be very useful. I attend a show about once each 3 years. I go when I anticipate spending money on home improvement projects during the coming year. It is a great opportunity to meet potential vendors/contractors and gather information. For me personally I don't want to do deals or schedule appointments while there. I do want to gather information and then call the contractors when I get home, can assess who I met and when I'm available. I also prioritize my projects. I generally don't have the time to meet with more than 2 potential contractors, so the impression I receive at the show is critical.

I back off from pushy sales people. If they are pushy at the show then they'll be worse in my home. Shoddy booths and collateral (or no collateral) tell me that's the type of work I can expect. Do not slam the competition (companies or products).

Make sure your key selling idea is conveyed. For some it's price, others quality and others service after the sale. Some buyers (and for some products/services) look at price as the key criteria. For the most part I'm looking for quality and workmanship. The more your product or service sounds and looks like a commodity, the more important price becomes. It's perfectly acceptable to establish your brand (the company or your product) as a premium brand and that the customers' enjoyment of your product or service and piece of mind will be worth the extra investment. If that describes you and it is clear by the way you, your booth and your staff present the company, the non-buyers and bottom shoppers will self-select out and you'll be left with the crucial few quality and qualified leads.

I don't participate in "bingo cards" or drawings and I don't want free stuff. What I do want is to be treated with respect and I want honesty and integrity.

I also gather information for future projects I will undertake, so consistency and showing up are important. I selected a landscape contractor this year for a small job ($10k) and one of the reasons I selected him is that he has been there the past 3 shows that cover 6 years. He's a small company and I generally prefer large companies, but he was sincere, helpful, consultative - and his presence at the last 3 shows I attended were a good indication that he's committed to the business.

So, as a consumer I do find the shows helpful. What I learn guides many of my major home improvement projects and I do pay attention.

lamazion

Windows

#9 Post by lamazion »

I went to the Minneapolis show this past weekend to look for windows. Saw a lot of nice displays and talked with several installers. It is always difficult to get much done at the show since we have two young girls with us. We did set-up some appointment and hopefully will have something arranged soon.

There are a lot of options and it can be overwelming! Only so much time to do research.