Simonton Prism Platinum Slider - Specifying window for high

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
oceanengineer

Simonton Prism Platinum Slider - Specifying window for high

#1 Post by oceanengineer »

I am looking at having a few large sliders and double hung windows in my window order (I finally have signed a contract for windows and siding) and when I compare the strength of the windows to the others I see that they are around DP:20 and DP:25 when most of my other windows are around DP:45 - DP:55. I have specified the meeting rail reinforcement and the glass is double strength glass. I have listed a sample Simonton window description that shows what my contractor has spec'd out.

I see from the specs for the Patio doors I am getting (DP 50) that the glass strength is still double strength so I assume there is some additional reinforcement in the patio doors - probably the entire frames but I am not sure if the sliders have that as an option.

I also have 72X72" picture windows that were automatically spec'd with triple strength glass and have a DP:45 rating with no additional reinforcement so I see that I could probably specify triple strength glass for these large sliders and have a higher DP rating but wanted to check with the experts here to see what the options are and what they would suggest. If you have some idea of what it would cost for triple strength glass upgrade and reinforcement I would appreciate it.

Thanks as always for your input.

Sample simonton spec below:

71"(T) X 72”(T) Prism Platinum White Slider (XO);Tip to Tip, BOX;1” IGU
Thickness; SuperSpacer; Low E Softcoat (Prosolar);Argon Gas; Double
Glazed; Double Strength (1/8"); Half Screen Fiberglass extruded Screen Mold; A2 Mtg Rail/Stile; Tape Applied; Two White; Logo Lock; Corrosion Resist Roller/Guide; Head Expander; Sill Extender; Glass Warrant Discount ID; 4306RF;(Ul=143”); DP:20; Test Number.61122.01; U-Factor: 0.31;SHGC:0.28; S1H GC:.28; Unit qualifies for energy start…

Bill

#2 Post by Bill »

With the picture window Simonton’s order entry system would default to triple pane glass on such a large pane of glass to maintain strength. Additional reinforcement is not available or required in this window.

The DP rating is a measurement of a windows ability to withstand wind driven rain so strength and water drainage are incorporated in this rating. In the case of the Simonton slider the tracks are drained with weep holes that do not drain as effectively as the sloped sill on their double hung. Adding triple pane glass or any additional reinforcement would not improve the drainage of the window so DP-20 is the best we can do.

Bill

oceanengineer

#3 Post by oceanengineer »

Thanks Bill,

So I assume the patio doors have some additional seals/drainage systems to maintain a DP:50 rating?

oceanengineer

#4 Post by oceanengineer »

I also had a question whether Simonton (Prism Platinum) Sliders were available with both panes sliding or are they always with one fixed and one active?

Thanks

Bill

#5 Post by Bill »

Simonton’s new patio door was designed to be a standard DP-50, There is a heavy aluminum reinforcement in the sash and I guess they got the sill to drain well enough for the DP-50. They needed this to build their coastal impact door.

The only Sliders in Simonton’s line where one side is fixed are in the ProFinish new construction line. In the replacement line’s you will see X0 on the confirmation but they are referring to the primary panel that is one closest to the inside of the house with the sash lock on it. Both sides still move but if you order the window with a ½ screen the screen will only seal and provide bug protection to the primary side. If you get a full screen you get protection on both sides.

Bill

oceanengineer

#6 Post by oceanengineer »

Thanks again Bill - I really appreciate the patience and input you provide to so many of us novices (though with all the info I have gleaned from this site my contractor says I know more than he does on the details of the windows and offered me a job!)

staysail

#7 Post by staysail »

oceanengineer wrote: I assume the patio doors have some additional seals/drainage systems to maintain a DP:50 rating?
The sliding doors are tempered glass which accounts for the DP50 (wind resistant to 150mph).
DP ratings is a measure of how much wind pressure it can take before failure (breakage); not seals/drainage.

See:
http://www.jeld-wen.com/resources/coast ... essure.cfm

Bill

#8 Post by Bill »

A windows ability to withstand water is part of a DP-Rating in the link you posted they are only discussing the structural test pressure component to a DP-Rating. At this link they get into both water and structural

http://www.bondedvinylwindows.com/id45.htm

36" (T) X 50" (T) 5500 Reflections White Double Hung; Tip-to-Tip; BOX; Intercept; Low E Softcoat (Prosolar); Argon Gas; Double Glazed; Regular Strength; Half Screen Fiberglass Extruded Screen Mold; 00 No Reinforcement; Two Air Latches; Two White; Logo Lock; Head Expander; Sill Extender (UI=86"); DP:25; Test Number=60739.02; U-Factor:.33; SHGC:.29; Unit qualifies for ENERGY STAR region(s): Northern, North Central, South Central, Southern

36" (T) X 50" (T) 5500 Reflections White Double Hung; Tip-to-Tip; BOX; Intercept; Low E Softcoat (Prosolar); Argon Gas; Double Glazed; Regular Strength; Half Screen Fiberglass Extruded Screen Mold; 00 No Reinforcement; Two Air Latches; Two White; Logo Lock; Head Expander; Sill Extender (UI=86"); DP:50; Test Number=60739.02; U-Factor:.33; SHGC:.29; Unit qualifies for ENERGY STAR region(s): Northern, North Central, South Central, Southern

Look at the specifications at the two Simonton windows above; in the first case the windows has a DP-25 in the second it is DP-50. If you look further both windows have no reinforcement and both have regular strength glass so there has not been any change in the strength of the window to achieve the higher DP rating. What has changed but not listed is the plug type in the corner of the sill below the balance track. The DP-25 window has a solid plug and relies primarily on the sloped sill for drainage. The DP-50 window has a slotted plug that acts like a storm drain into the main frame of the sill and out the weep holes. This allows any water that may build up in a storm with high wind and pressure to drain.

36" (T) X 50" (T) 5500 Reflections White Double Hung; Tip-to-Tip; BOX; Intercept; Low E Softcoat (Prosolar); Argon Gas; Double Glazed; Regular Strength; Half Screen Fiberglass Extruded Screen Mold; A2 Mtg Rail/Stile; Two Air Latches; Two White; Logo Lock; Head Expander; Sill Extender (UI=86"); DP:55; Test Number=60504.02; U-Factor:.33; SHGC:.29; Unit qualifies for ENERGY STAR region(s): Northern, North Central, South Central, Southern

The above specifications are for a DP-55 window where along with the slotted plug sash reinforcement has been added ( A2 Mtg Rail/Stile) to strengthen the window and achieve the higher DP-Rating. Higher DP-Ratings can be met by reinforcing the entire sash frame and adding stronger glass.

Bill