Mullions

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
LizC

Mullions

#1 Post by LizC »

Hi all:

I may not be using the right terminology here but my question is about mullions or the spacer bar between panes of glass in the top sash in a classic sash window. I really hate the fake mullions on most vinyl windows, they are usually on the inside of the glass just floating there not actually separating anythng so it is obvious that they are fake. I understand it is very expensive to make the top sash from separate panes but I have seen some houses, very few mind you, with mullions on the outside. They may not actually separate the panes but they at least look like it. If there is some way to up load a picture let me know because I have one. I know this might seem like a minor thing to you guys who are all concerned about R values, etc. but for me this is the main reason I haven't replaced my windows yet - I hate those fake mullions :) So if anybody is aware of a window type with more realistic mullions I'd love to hear about it. Thanks in advance, LizC

PK

#2 Post by PK »

Harvey offers exterior applied grids which are permanently glued to the outside of the window

earwax

#3 Post by earwax »

Most every wood window offers this. Jled-Wen premium vinyl and Milgard Ultra fiberglass also offer this.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Sunrise Windows now offers simulated divided lite muntins as well.

LizC

#5 Post by LizC »

Thank you for the replies. I've checked out the companies you've suggested and I'm not sure they all have what I'm looking for. However, I stumbled on the Jeld-Wen UK site and they offer "Simulated True Divided Lights" which have permanently affixed grids on the interior and exterior and grid between the glass. Does anybody know of a manufacturer here that offers this? Jeld-Wen USA does not seem to. Also, I'm in Toronto, Canada so any local contacts would be really appreciated.

Thanks, Liz