80" Factory-Mulled Triple-DH Replacement Unit?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
JimR1998

80" Factory-Mulled Triple-DH Replacement Unit?

#1 Post by JimR1998 »

Does such a thing exist?

We're in the process of selecting replacements for the original wood frame windows in our bedroom. The windows are situated around a corner and I'm wondering if we can get replacements or must opt for new construction.

The layout is roughly:
30"DH window - corner - 46" picture window - wooden mull - 36" DH window

Getting a replacement for the 30" DH is not a problem. But we'd like to get a double or triple factory-mulled DH unit to replace the other 2 windows.

Can the existing wood mull be removed and a large (80"+) replacement window be placed into the remaining jamb? Any thoughts on that-- good or bad? The problem is that the wood jamb is not in the right place to get equal sized windows.

Also, does anyone know if Super Spacer is offered on Simonton ProFinish new-construction windows? Replacements will be Simonton 5500.

Thanks. Any advice would be appreciated.

JScott

#2 Post by JScott »

You should not have a problem removing the mull as we do it often. Either fiberglass or vinyl should meet your needs. The fiberglass will probably be factory mulled while the vinyl will most likely need to be field mulled. I am not familiar with Simonton as they are seldom used in my region.

Bill

#3 Post by Bill »

Super Spacer is available in the Pro-Finish line from Simonton. Also Simonton has just introduced a main frame for the 5500 & 9800 that has an integral nail fin with J channel for their double hung and picture windows. The factory has the option for the J channel to be removed. This is a nice addition to the line; most contractors did not like the old snap on fin we were forced to use in the past. You can now use the 5500 & 9800 for both replacement and new construction applications

Simonton will factory mull both of the lines.

Bill