Has anyone ever heard of Universal Windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
LifeV

Has anyone ever heard of Universal Windows

#1 Post by LifeV »

They make their own windows and are located in Camden, NJ

Their website is: http://www.universalwindowsus.com

Their salesman came in with a really affordable price, and I just wanted to see if anyone has any experience with them. Thanks for your help in advance.

Skydawggy

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

I'd proceed with caution. I can't find them on the NFRC site even though they claim to have a rating. A big red flag IMO. I also gleaned from their website the installations are all subcontracted. If this is correct, I'd want to know which crew was going to be doing your install and I'd ask to see a few jobs "that" crew did. Don't accept jobs which have been done in the past by another installation sub.

In addition, I can't find any mention of an AAMA or any other certification other than something from the American Window and Door Institute.

I'd ask a lot more questions and ask for material to back up claims of U-values, SHGC, Stuctural loads, mil thickness, etc.

Let us know what you find out.

LifeV

#3 Post by LifeV »

I actually went to see their factory last week. I am leaning towards going with them. They are not a large company, but have been in business for 30 years. They have their own installers and they make their own windows.

Right now I have 2 options that are in the same price ballpark.

1. Buy Simonton 5500 windows (Low E/Argon) and hire an installer to install them. If I go straight with a Simonton contractor, it costs a lot more.

2. Just go with the windows above, where the manufacturer themselves install them, and have a lifetime guarantee.

The reason why I am leaning towards 2, is because if the installation is f'ed up I can always go back to the manufacturer is something is wrong. But bad installation voids warranties, so if I go back to Simonton they would most likely blame it on the installer and vise versa. What do you guys think??