Thermastar by Pella: How bad are they?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
rye

Thermastar by Pella: How bad are they?

#1 Post by rye »

I received a quote from Lowe's for 11 replacement Thermastar sliders for an old 50s home full of original aluminum casements. They quoted me $3300 for the windows and install. My question is this: how bad are these windows to get such a low price?

I got quoted roughly $9k for Pella Impervias, and $6600 for Simonton Prism Platinums...two and three times as much. I have Window World coming out next week to give me a quote for Alside Sheffields. Are Thermastars really that poor that I should spend two or three times as much?

Please...I am a desperate man right now! I need an HONEST opinion about these Thermastars! If I choose wrong, I will have the wife's wrath!

Ok, I made that last part up...but really, I am very confused.

rye

#2 Post by rye »

Anyone?

staysail

Re: Thermastar by Pella: How bad are they?

#3 Post by staysail »

rye wrote:I received a quote from Lowe's for 11 replacement Thermastar sliders for an old 50s home full of original aluminum casements. They quoted me $3300 for the windows and install. My question is this: how bad are these windows to get such a low price?

I got quoted roughly $9k for Pella Impervias, (and $6600 for Simonton Prism Platinums...two and three times as much. I have Window World coming out next week to give me a quote for Alside Sheffields. Are Thermastars really that poor that I should spend two or three times as much?

Please...I am a desperate man right now! I need an HONEST opinion about these Thermastars! If I choose wrong, I will have the wife's wrath!

Ok, I made that last part up...but really, I am very confused.
I don't think Pella Series10 (Single Hung instead of Sliders) are that bad... They may not be as fancy as Simonton Reflections 5500... but I think they hold their own, specially if you get the High Performance Series10. They have a DP50 ratings... and if they are properly installed.
(It is like putting new tires on your car: remove the old ones: put the new ones/balance et remount... not much to it, if you have the right tools and know how)

As far as the low price goes it is because Lowe's has a decent install price: $109 for basic installation (that is replacement only: take out the old one put in the new; nail it with 11-12 nail all around ... seal/caulk it and they are done !
Other places charge more because they have to pay the high priced salesperson who comes to your house... with a dwarf sample (he gets about 10% or more of the sale and the owners make at least twice that in net profit... and they send a poorly paid employee/subcontractor to do the dirty work: that is Free enterprise at its best! )
And you know what? Someone has to pay for all that!...

Personally I would try Pella Thermastar (S10) and have 3-4 windows installed first to see how I like them: that way, I can decide if I am happy with them, before ordering the others; and it will only cost 1/3 of the $3,300... Only at Lowe's you can buy all or a few at a time!

rye

Re: Thermastar by Pella: How bad are they?

#4 Post by rye »

Thanks so much for being patient with me! You have been a big help.

Cheers,
Ryan