New Windows for North Texas

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
docwill

New Windows for North Texas

#1 Post by docwill »

Howdy from Dallas. We need to replace old "original" windows in a 1963 pier'n beam home. 14 windows, 9 of which are wide sliders (36" to 72" wide & 32" to 48" tall) the balance will be 24" - 32" wide DH windows.

We've had Certainteed installed in our last home. They were ok, crappy screen assy.

We've been quoted on Alside Excalibur. Now after reading several posts throughout this forum, I find that this Model is not the best choice, but perhaps the Sheffield is.

I've seen several posts about the Simonton windows. The 9800 series kept floating to the top.

Here in North Texas, we have 3 months of Winter (avg 30F), 1-2 months of Spring (avg 68F), 1-2 month of Fall (68F), then....there's SUMMER with an avg temp of 95F (range 85F - 108F)

Another issue we have here is Moving Soil. We have thick, black, Clay soil, which can Expand and Contract several inches (I read somewhere up 8"). This causes houses to move, foundations to Crack (slab) and even Pier'n Beam foundations (unusual in Dallas) still "float" during the seasons. As you can imagine, this movement requires a Window with a Better than Average Mechanical design.
We don't have Basements here because of the soil conditions...Bummer.

Any Expert Opinions or Edjukated phokes who can help filter out the "noise" (plethera of window talk) on my best choice(s) for Replacement Windows would be? Much Abliged in advanced.

randy

#2 Post by randy »

Take a look at thermally broken aluminum windows. Commercially rated, durable, strong, and available with custom glass packages (Cardinal 366).

On the negative side, U-Values are 20%-30% higher than better quality vinyl windows, and they are approximately 12% more expensive.

docwill

#3 Post by docwill »

Thanks Randy.....we looked into something like this earlier. Our CertainTeed Windows were installed into a house approx 8 months following a major foundation lift (36 piers). There was some settling, which required the Window Rep/Installer to return and make some adjustments. The Windows themselves, NEVER Leaked or Cracked, etc. Only the jointing around the Windows was the issue due to the settling.

That said, my Wife and I are really looking primarily at at Vinyl Type Window.

We plan install a new HVAC system, blow additional insulation into the attic, add some type of Reflective Barrier (non-Cellphone Barrier). Our goal is to to stay in this house for several years, thru retirement.

Doc Williams

Paul Tillson

Reflectix paint

#4 Post by Paul Tillson »

You may want to paint the interior of your roof (attic ceiling) with reflectix paint. I have read a lot of good things about that product.