Another installation related question

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
oceanengineer

Another installation related question

#1 Post by oceanengineer »

Finally received the windows today and the installers started with the windows in the brick.

Had a question regarding insulating windows in the brick opening - all the openings have a large gap between the brick and the framework that has been filled haphazardly with mortar (in the past). I assume this is normal as the brick is just a veneer - but these gaps are almost impossible to fill with foam (would take cans). Didn't have any other insulation to throw in but couldn't figure out if it would help any.

In the end we placed the window in the opening and used the foam between the brick and the window frame (about the depth of the brick) and will then finsh with caulk. In some cases/areas the windows fit quite tight i the opening and it is almost impossible to get the foam in the gap (probably less than 0.125") so we squirted in as much as we could and will then caulk the entire perimeter.

The windows look great - and so far the installers have done a pretty good job (a bit messy with the clean-up though - though I have resigned myself to the fact that contractors in general are messy except for HVAC folks who for some reason been especially careful with keeping things clean). Not a big deal - i just follow through with the vacuum - it is amazing how far shards of glass will travel.

I'd appreciate any comments/suggestions on the insulation.
Thanks

Guy

#2 Post by Guy »

We use a snap in expander where the window doesn't meet the brick or J bead. It snaps in any window with an accessory groove around the frame. We also bend our own aluminum capping to do the same thing. We then caulk this part to the brick or J bead. We do all the insulating from the inside unless it's an outside in application. Every installer has their own ways to blend things in. It's just how it looks upon completion.

As for the mess, I'd Donkey Punch my crews if they leave it a mess. I tell all my installers it should be cleaner than when they arrived! Installers should know how to vacuum and clean up behind themselves. The use of drop cloths in area's that will collect a lot of debris helps more than anything. Hope it all turns out great when their done.

oceanengineer

#3 Post by oceanengineer »

Thanks for the input - I will discuss with the installers.

Actually they have been using drop cloths, and covering everything - just a bit clumsy with the pick-up plus bringing dirt in when they move in and out (but understandable in some ways as it has rained a lot around here the past few days). I've just put down drop clothes for them to place when they walk in and out.