Quote, good price or not??

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
lamazion

Quote, good price or not??

#1 Post by lamazion »

From reading this website, it's hard to tell if the quotes I've been getting are reasonable. They seem high for the number of windows, but we have some larger windows with casements on the side. Here are are windows (dem width by height)

1 - 120" x 50" with casements on either side of large picture
3 - 28" x 37" DH
2 - 40" x 45" DH
1 - 72" x 39" with casements on either of fixed center
3 - 36" x 45" DH

We got a Home Depot Quote for $9100 (simonton windows)
A quote on Lindsay windows for $9000 ($9600 if the large 2 are full frame),
Just talked to a Schuco dealer, his was $12,000, but he implied he could do better. Typically, each started high then offered to come down. The prices still seem, high.

What do you think?

Skydawggy

Re: Quote, good price or not??

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

What do you think?
Not enough information.

What materials are your existing windows made from? Steel, aluminum, wood?
Are you getting quotes with or without grids?
Double pane or trple pane?
Argon gas filled or Krypton?
What area do you live in (location does affect the price).
What experience does the installer have?
Does the price include cladding?
Is there any additional work required such as removal of steel pans, rotted wood etc.?

3 part windows are usually priced close to the individual window cost.

Personally, I wouldn't allow Home Depot in my front door, but that's just me.

-

lamazion

#3 Post by lamazion »

Original windows are wood and from a 1950s home. I do not expect any issues with rot as there are no signs that this would be a problem. Installation price includes wrapping exterior trim. The Simonton and Lindsay are double pane argon filled. The Schuco are triple pane argon/krypton filled. All windows with no grids.

I live in Minnesota (twin cities area).

Thanks!
Leigh

Skydawggy

#4 Post by Skydawggy »

lamazion wrote:Original windows are wood and from a 1950s home. I do not expect any issues with rot as there are no signs that this would be a problem. Installation price includes wrapping exterior trim. The Simonton and Lindsay are double pane argon filled. The Schuco are triple pane argon/krypton filled. All windows with no grids.

I live in Minnesota (twin cities area).

Thanks!
Leigh
Hmmmm.

I'm not that familiar with the window market where you live but I think the price seems a little high based on your information. Do a little more shopping and tell the salesperson you are looking to do business immediately and ask if his price is the best he can do.

I would also suggest you look into triple pane with krypton for the area you live in. They migh be a little more expensive than what you are budgeting, but I think it's worth investing in if you plan on staying in the house for a while and considering how cold it gets there. (Brrrr... I've been to the twin cities one time in the witer and that was enough for me).

staysail

Re: Quote, good price or not??

#5 Post by staysail »

lamazion wrote:From reading this website, it's hard to tell if the quotes I've been getting are reasonable. They seem high for the number of windows, but we have some larger windows with casements on the side. Here are are windows (dem width by height)

1 - 120" x 50" with casements on either side of large picture
3 - 28" x 37" DH
2 - 40" x 45" DH
1 - 72" x 39" with casements on either of fixed center
3 - 36" x 45" DH

We got a Home Depot Quote for $9100 (simonton windows)

What do you think?
Yes it is hard to get a reliable honest estimate and/ or a qualified installer here..
I got estimates to replace 11 windows and 4 sliding doors and estimates were all different:
11 double hung windows Simonton 5500 and 4 Patio sliding doors (Reflections)
Home Depot $7,500 + $8,800 for Sliding doors
Quote #2: $5,500 installed + 5900 for sliding doors installed
Quote #3: $2,700 for windows + $2,000 Installation (sliding doors: $3,500 +$1,850 Installation)
Quote #2 and 3 were somewhat reasonable ($450 /$400 a window installed but with a big question ? as far as install quality goes...)
It is very frustrating to deal with some of these people... and specially with HomeDepot... all you have to do is Google Home depot Install and you will find all kind of nightmare stories!.

I like Simonton 5500 but was not ready to put up with some of the risk involved with the 3 quotes!
I think I will settle with Lowes ok quality Thermastar Windows, but good service (used them before.. they do follow up promptly on any problem / complaintt at the local level (store where you bought the installation)... Home depot gives a phone # located somewhere on this planet!
It is a shame that one has to be on his guards, at all time, to do any kind of business, in the home remodeling racket; specially in Florida.

lamazion

#6 Post by lamazion »

How do you find dealers/installers for a specific brand? Neither Lindsay or Schuco have dealers listed on their web sites. Ads in the phone book often don't list the brands.

I would like to shop for these two brands, but not sure the best way to start.

WindDoze

#7 Post by WindDoze »

All things being equal which window do you feel was the best? I know the Schuco comes standard with triple pane, krypton, TPS spacer, edge deletion, steel reinforced sashes and PAL locks. Lindsey and Simonton don't have any of these. It stands to reason that the Schuco will be slightly more expensive, and I know for a fact that it is in the Twin Cities area. Most window companies work with exclusive dealers for a specific market area, if you got a quote from the Lindsey dealer and the Schuco dealer -- those are your guys. I know the Schuco dealer you are working with will give you a great job, and unparalleled service. :wink:

Based on your quotes, it would seem that your job will come in somewhere between $9-12K, unless you are looking for the lowest possible price. If that is the case, I can tell you right now a few companies you could call...but I wouldn't recomend any of them unless you plan on selling your home in the next 6 months. If you like the Schuco window, talk to the rep, tell him you've had other quotes, and make an offer to him that you think is fair. Worst case is he says no, but most likely you'll be able to work something out that works for the two of you.

lamazion

#8 Post by lamazion »

WindDoze,

Thanks for your replies to my posts ... it is appreciated as I'm trying to learn enough to make an educated purchase.

I'm leaning toward Schuco, but Lindsay is still very appealing (I like the lift system they use). My biggest question at this point is why am I getting pricing quotes for $900 - $1200 per opening when the typical range seems to be $600 - $800. If the quotes would have come in the range I expected, I would have closed the deal. I was really hoping to get this arranged before I go on vacation next week, but it looks like I will be getting another quote from the other Schuco dealer and find out if there is another Lindsay dealer in the area.

I guess I'm in a good situation because I don't "need" to replace windows ... that being said, it was the next on my home improvement list!

WindDoze

#9 Post by WindDoze »

Without knowing the specifics of your particular job, its tough to comment on the price. Are you looking at white windows or woodgrain? The two large multi unit casement windows are definately going to push your average cost per opening up over that $600-800 range. If you just look at the DHs themselves, and if they are white, I know the Schuco will fall within that range.

Also the two large casements you have are really three windows. Looking at it that way you have 14 windows -- not 10. $12,000 (for Schuco) / 14 = $857 per opening.

BTW, I believe Lindsey uses a block and tackle lift system. The constant force balance system that Schuco uses (and Simonton for that matter) is a far better system. They simply do not go bad. If you ask the pros on this board, I bet you won't find one who has ever had to replace a constant force balance.

lamazion

#10 Post by lamazion »

The windows will all be white. the original Schuco quote also included combining two of the DH with one slider. Since my wife did not like the slider, the price will most like go up since it will be 10 windows instead of 9.

How much more should I expect to pay for the large windows with the casements on the side? I think my installation is straight forward as we have original wood windows in good shape. We have discussed with the installers the possibility of full frame replacements for the two large. This would increase the price by about $600.

I guess I'll wait to see the second Schuco quote.

JimR1998

#11 Post by JimR1998 »

One thing that worked for me was calling the local distributor and asking for a contractor recommendation. Most distributors will also be willing to give you pricing information for the window alone which will at least put you in the ballpark.

I had a heck of a time finding fair, honest, no-haggle quotes until I went to the distributor.

Simonton has a lot of distributors in PA, so that was easy. Schuco was impossible to work with and, even though the windows are superior, I was totally uncomfortable with the sales end.

Off the top of my head I'd say your numbers sound a high based on what I just had installed. I put a post here a few weeks ago with the numbers-- don't have them at my fingertips now.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#12 Post by Window4U (IL) »

JimR1998 wrote: Schuco was impossible to work with and, even though the windows are superior, I was totally uncomfortable with the sales end..
No, "Schuco" was not hard to work with. (Schuco does not sell to homeowners.)
An independent contractor who sells Schuco windows is who you tried to work with. BIG difference. It's like saying Maytag is hard to deal with because you ran into an idiot salesman down at Joe's appliance shop. In this example, Maytag of course had nothing to do with it. They are just a brand. It's the same in your case, Schuco is a brand.
Your dealings were with a local contractor who is in no way connected to the rest of us dealers who carry Schuco. Just because you get a high price and high sales pressure from one company carrying this brand doesn't mean all dealers are like that. For example, even though I sell a much better triple paned Schuco window in my market, I am rarely more $ than even my inferior "mid-grade" competition selling double pane.

There are no "msrp" installed prices in this business for the most part. This is really important that you homeowners realize this about almost any brand out there. It's the contractor selling the window that sets the installed price, not the manufacturer.