My door appears to be crooked. Very noticeable

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Prabhu

My door appears to be crooked. Very noticeable

#1 Post by Prabhu »

Hello all. Thanks for all the advice on this forum.
After getting three estimates I chose my installer and had 2 Milgard vinyl sliders and a vinyl patio door installed yesterday.

My question is this: Is it normal for the door to be crooked? The door shuts fine but when it is fully opened the door –in relation to the door “center post”- is off by about 5/8” at the top. What I mean is the door (appears to) leans like this / exposing 5/8” at the top down to nice and even with the center post at the bottom.
It is really noticeable especially from outside. Plus I can’t get the screen on track at both ends. It is on track at the back and off track in the front.
I am really distressed about this since I took pains to find a company that touted it’s great installs and the fact that they have “seen it all”. This company has been in business for over 20 years.

My wife was the only one home during the install. She mentioned the slant of the door and the installer said it is because our floor is uneven (it does slope slightly). Even so, isn’t this something that installers see often? Aren’t there ways to compensate?
The installer said that his concern is that door closes well, which it does.

Sorry for the long post. Any help? I am going to call the company but I hope to get a response here before I do.

randy

#2 Post by randy »

The door must be level and square, regardless of what the floor does. A door that is improperly installed will not seal well, and causes unnecesary stress on the frame and hardware.

The shame of it is that your installer most likely spent an inordinate amount of time manipulating the lockset to "close well", when he should have spent that time leveling and squaring. Then the door would have closed well naturally.

If you still owe the company some money, withold it until the door is pulled and reset. Your instincts on ensuring the reveal is uniform from top to bottom is right on the money.

Prabhu

Update

#3 Post by Prabhu »

Your response validates what I was thinking.

The check was written and handed over right before the installer left.
I called the company and so far so good. I spoke with someone who seemed very concerned. He is "gathering some information" and he will get back to me.
Looking at the door from the outside again and I can't believe they would leave it like this. It looks so tilted. :(

Well I hope for a good outcome.

Thanks again.

Skydawggy

Re: Update

#4 Post by Skydawggy »

Prabhu wrote:Your response validates what I was thinking.

The check was written and handed over right before the installer left.
I called the company and so far so good. I spoke with someone who seemed very concerned. He is "gathering some information" and he will get back to me.
Looking at the door from the outside again and I can't believe they would leave it like this. It looks so tilted. :(

Well I hope for a good outcome.

Thanks again.
"Gathering information" could be synonymous with "waiting for the check to clear". I'd stop payment on the check and tell them you will pay them when they straighten the problem out.