Large Replacement Windows 60" by 80"

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Kevin

Large Replacement Windows 60" by 80"

#1 Post by Kevin »

I am looking to replace five large windows, 60" wide by 80" tall. I am planning to have a 60" wide 24" picture window on the bottom and a single slider on the top, 60" wide 54" tall, but have found only one manufacturer who will make this window and the price is fairly steep. Any suggestions on window manufactures or contractors in Austin, Texas. Thanks.

randy

#2 Post by randy »

You might try Don Young, a Dallas based manufacturer. They manufacture a very good thermally broken aluminum window.

If the bottom window is within 18" of the floor, it will have to be tempered glass, and that could be an explanation for the high cost, as it is more expensive than regular glass.

One other thing, a slider that is 54" tall and 60" wide is probably not going to glide open as designed to do. The sashes will be fairly narrow and quite tall. As long as you know that going in, you shouldn't have any problem getting them from Don Young.

Good luck.

Kevin

Windows

#3 Post by Kevin »

Randy, Thanks for the information. Is there any other configuration you would suggest for the opening 60" wide 80" high. Right now there is a 60" wide 24" slider on the bottom and a 60" wide 54" high slider on the top, but I want more of the window to open. Any suggestions?

randy

#4 Post by randy »

Here are some possibilities:

1. Two side-by-side single or double hungs (mulled together)

2. Two side-by-side casements with a picture window mulled to the top as a transom

3. Two side-by-side casements with a picture window mulled to the bottom
(this would eliminate the need for tempered glass as long as the bottom picture window was limited to 21" in height)

Of all the options listed, your original idea will be the least expensive. I wasn't necessary trying to talk you out of the slider, just wanted you to be aware of the down side.