Energy Star Stickers and Window Thickness

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
lmiller

Energy Star Stickers and Window Thickness

#1 Post by lmiller »

I finally received my Energy Star stickers for my windows. The sticker shows 3/32 glass. But I ordered double strength. The sales person said that the Energy Star stickers only shows what they were tested at and not what the actual window is. That just doesn't sound right to me. I would appreciate any comments to help me understand. TIA.

randy

#2 Post by randy »

I'm going to take a stab at this.

Assuming that you're actually referring to the NFRC label, not an Energy Star label, the glass thickness listed is supposed to be what is actually in the window upon which the sticker is applied.

Your salesperson is referring to the test results (U-Value, SHGC, VLT, AL), and although the label should apply to the actual window on which the label is applied, many times they don't, as not every conceivable size is tested with each and every combination of available options.

Hope this isn't too confusing. My recommendation to you, would be to demand that your salesperson supply you with a letter from the manufacturer detailing the glass used in the production of your windows. If he doesn't get it for you, don't pay any remaining balance. (This assumes that your contract specifies double strength "1/8" glass.)

lmiller

#3 Post by lmiller »

Randy,

Thanks for your reply. What is the difference between the NFRC label and the Energy Star Label? I was referring to the large white label which has the Energy Performance ratings on it. TIA.

randy

#4 Post by randy »

The label to which you refer, is the NRFC label.

http://www.nfrc.org/Label.aspx

The information listed on the NFRC label pertains to efficiency, and is critical to comparing competing products on an equal basis.

The Energy Star label is basically worthless, as it only certifies that the window meets or exceeds the minimum (very, very minimum) requirements for a particular zone. Certification is based upon the test results reflected on the NFRC label.