Custom Size Simonton Patio Doors

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
oceanengineer

Custom Size Simonton Patio Doors

#1 Post by oceanengineer »

After having 5 patio doors replaced with Simonton Prism Platinum patios doors, the lone exterior french door looks out of place and I think I want to replace it with a patio door. However, the door is a bit odd sized (I had to special order the French Door 5 years ago) - the rough opening in the brick is 69.5" wide and 82" high (I guess I could get away with 80" high).

I understand that Simonton patio doors (Prism Platinum) can be custom ordered - does this add a lot to the price compared to a 72"(W) X 80"(H) door or is it similar in price?

Thanks

Skydawggy

Re: Custom Size Simonton Patio Doors

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

oceanengineer wrote:After having 5 patio doors replaced with Simonton Prism Platinum patios doors, the lone exterior french door looks out of place and I think I want to replace it with a patio door. However, the door is a bit odd sized (I had to special order the French Door 5 years ago) - the rough opening in the brick is 69.5" wide and 82" high (I guess I could get away with 80" high).
You will not be happy installing an 80" door in an 82" opening. 2 inches makes a lot of difference aesthetically.
I understand that Simonton patio doors (Prism Platinum) can be custom ordered - does this add a lot to the price compared to a 72"(W) X 80"(H) door or is it similar in price?

Thanks
Custom sized the door should be about 20-25% more. Well worth paying the additional amount, than trying to make the opening fit the door.

oceanengineer

#3 Post by oceanengineer »

Thanks for the input - I agree 20-25% more should be worth it.

I would only settle for the 80" door if it made it cheaper to customize. Some f the brick openings in my house are a bit weird - it looks like they got the outside dimensions confused with the insides and after installing a "standard" height door (80") they filled in the top with concrete!

In replacing some of these doors we spent a lot of time scratching our head as the framing, brick opening and drywall dimensions are all different (with the drywall being the final fix). I guess we will order the door based on the brick opening and framing and fix everything else to fit.