Intercept Spacer ...oh my

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Intercept Spacer ...oh my

#1 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I posted this over on the sister site but thought I'd post it here too.

I'm replacing over 30 of these in a home, and 2/3 of these 4 year old windows have moisture between the glass already. Granted, results vary depending on methods by manufacturers using this spacer, but I'm getting real soured on it after seeing scores of homes like this in the last year. I don't know if this is a regional thing or if this is typical of results around the country.
Are you other pros seeing an increase in the failure rates of Intercept now that it has been in windows for a while? I haven't seen anything in the major replacement brands, but I've been seeing a lot of failures in the builders units.

That's the (usually)grey bead of dessicant down in the bottom if you are wondering what the debris is.

mgar

Re: Intercept Spacer ...oh my

#2 Post by mgar »

Hello WFU,
I just started my window replacement research, so I've been reading this forum like a mad man. Can you throw some wisdom my way?

This year, I live in Madison, WI.
I'm replacing:
(5x) 34x53 double hung
(2x) 23x53 double hung
(1x) 64x54 picture window

next year I want to replace another 8 or more.

I've spoken to our local Andersen (Renewal) dealer, who's selling their hollow composite window and one other local installer selling vinyl.

Can you point me in a good direction? Do you guys come up to Madison? Any and all help is appreciated.

Also, let me know if you want my e-mail address. I'm happy giving that out, but not sure if it's kosher with the board's rules.

Thanks,
Mike