Alside vs Great Lakes vs Amerimax

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
ashine

Alside vs Great Lakes vs Amerimax

#1 Post by ashine »

Help! I am having a tough time finding good comparison data on window brands. I live in Denver Colorado, in a brick 1926 bungalow. I am planning to replace all of my wood windows (13) with vinyl.

Current quotes are generally in the same ballpark, although some include coil wrapping exterioir wood and some do not.

Current windows proposed are
Alside Excaliber 5134.00 for 2-tone, dble hung
Great Lakes Seabrooke 5200.00 for two tone, dble hung and coil wrap on wood trim
Amerimax Masters Grande and Craftsman Portrait - various pricing

I would like to do two- tone; one color exterior and white on interior. therefore, I am leaning toward the Seabrooke or Excaliber because they accomodate this.

I realize the Seabrooke has foam in the frame which is an advantage , but with a 1926 home and limited wall insulation, I am not sure I will get the benefit.

The reviews I have seen on this site have limited info on Great Lakes quality in general, and the Excaliber reviews have been disappointing. One estimator indicated Amermax had a recall last year so I am questioning quality on Amerimax.

Any insight or guidance would be apprecaited!!! Thanks!

Windows on Washington

Re: Alside vs Great Lakes vs Amerimax

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

ashine wrote:Help! I am having a tough time finding good comparison data on window brands. I live in Denver Colorado, in a brick 1926 bungalow. I am planning to replace all of my wood windows (13) with vinyl.

Current quotes are generally in the same ballpark, although some include coil wrapping exterioir wood and some do not.

Current windows proposed are
Alside Excaliber 5134.00 for 2-tone, dble hung
Great Lakes Seabrooke 5200.00 for two tone, dble hung and coil wrap on wood trim
Amerimax Masters Grande and Craftsman Portrait - various pricing

I would like to do two- tone; one color exterior and white on interior. therefore, I am leaning toward the Seabrooke or Excaliber because they accomodate this.

I realize the Seabrooke has foam in the frame which is an advantage , but with a 1926 home and limited wall insulation, I am not sure I will get the benefit.
There is little to zero benefit in foam filling so I would eliminate that from the pool of deciding factors.

The reviews I have seen on this site have limited info on Great Lakes quality in general, and the Excaliber reviews have been disappointing. One estimator indicated Amermax had a recall last year so I am questioning quality on Amerimax.

Any insight or guidance would be apprecaited!!! Thanks!