Schuco U & SHG Numbers Question

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
window novice

Schuco U & SHG Numbers Question

#1 Post by window novice »

I've definitely made the decision to go with Schuco. Got four great references on the dealer (Kemp) here in Richmond VA. My second choice "finalist" window had U factor of .19 & SHG of .25 My question is since Schuco has U factor of .22 & SHG of .27, are these numbers close enough not to miss the extra protection from the "second choice " window? I'm particularly concerned about SHG number since the summers here in Richmond can be brutal.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

The difference is nominal. Enjoy your windows, I'm sure you'll love them.

window novice

#3 Post by window novice »

Thanks Window4U! That's what I needed to hear. I know we will enjoy the windows.

WindDoze

#4 Post by WindDoze »

Novice,
What window was your second choice? Some of us would like to verify those numbers...:wink:

Again, you won't go wrong with your choice. You'll be absolutely thrilled with your decision.

window novice

#5 Post by window novice »

My second choice was a Soft Lite with super spacer, triple pane, krypton. The quote on the Soft Lite was attractive but after going to references' homes to see both windows actually installed, the quality and appearance of the Schuco really stood out. I hope I was given accurate information on the Soft Lite. I checked it out on the NFRC site and it was listed there as well.

WindDoze

#6 Post by WindDoze »

I kind of thought that was the one you'd mention. I've seen that new Soft lite window, and it is impressive -- but not in the same league as a Schuco IMHO. In the interest of full disclosure, Softlite has been trying to get me to carry it and drop Schuco as my premium line.

Superspacer vs TPS -- advantage Schuco.

window novice

#7 Post by window novice »

WindDoze, I value your opinion. This board has made all the difference in helping to make this decision. I'd never heard of Schuco and wouldn't have if it hadn't been for this board. Yes, with the Schuco I've spent more money but again, there's a lot more that goes into this decision than $. Just for your info, from a customer's point of view (true novice here), when I went to the reference's home for the Soft Lite, when I pulled the window up, I saw the vinyl lift rail move/wiggle, and thought to myself that there really was something to paying more and getting reinforcement in the window. It could have been that it was just normal movement but I didn't like it. Thanks again to all those in the industry who responded.

tgtrim

#8 Post by tgtrim »

Window Novice

I am not a window expert by any means but I would like to offer a word of caution from my personal experience.

If you truely want the .22 U-factor and the .27 SHG ratings from Schuco, make sure you are getting windows with low e coating on two glass surfaces. I was where you are in the buying process and assumed that I was getting those NFRC numbers from Shuco only to find out my salesman ordered a slightly cheaper glass package (triple pane, krypton with only one low e coated window pane) which resulted in windows with NFRC ratings of .29 U-factor and .34 SHG. Very disappointing at the time.

That being said, it was totally a salesman issue and not the fault of Schuco. After living with the windows for 2 months now, I am completely satisfied, although I would have preferred the better rated glass package. They are exceptional windows and I would certainly do it all over again. I would however, be more cautious and would list the NFRC numbers I expected on the sales contract.

I hope this post was helpful.

Tom

WindDoze

#9 Post by WindDoze »

Novice
Not to get overly technical, but tell your rep you want glass package number 406 -- and you'll avoid the above mentioned problem.

window novice

#10 Post by window novice »

I had read of this type of experience on this board and have every intention of putting this in the contract. I actually saw the sticker that came off one of the windows at the reference's house so I know she got what she expected from this dealer. I'll definitely ask for 406!