American Craftsman v Simonton v Alside Impact Vinyl Windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
RoseRx

American Craftsman v Simonton v Alside Impact Vinyl Windows

#1 Post by RoseRx »

I am interested in the American Craftsman 9500 Impact vs Simonton StrormBreaker Plus 300VL vs the Alside Coastal Impact Windows. I am a relative widow neophyte and they all look comparable to me.

Any recommendations or advice?

Bill

#2 Post by Bill »

When Energy Star was first introduced I thought this would separate the junk in our industry from the quality. I soon learned that any window with Low-e/argon met energy star no matter how poor the frame and mechanical components.

I thought for sure the Dade County torture test would separate the men from the boys. Now I see that if you stuff enough steel in your frame add impact tilt latches, laminate glass with the right glazing adhesive and have the financial resources to pay for the test any window can be built to pass.

The American Craftsman impact window is Silverlines Piece of junk (in my opinion) with all of the above. I first saw this window at last years builders show and they are using the same balance system as their standard duty window to support the excessive weight of the laminate glass. The balancer on the left side lower insert had already failed in their display.

The Storm Breaker Plus is based on the Reflections 5500 so we begin with a good window it has the heavy duty ¾ stainless steel balance system Simonton is known for. Super Spacer is standard and the exterior pane of glass is tempered. Laminate glass can crack when struck but will stay intact so the tempered pane protects this expensive pane of glass from the impact of smaller projectiles and hopefully you get through a storm without an expensive glass repair. If the tempered pane of glass breaks it will crumble into small harmless pieces instead of dangerous sheets of glass flying in the wind.

A window will still pass the test with a broken exterior panel as long as the laminate panel holds. When questioned regarding this I heard a manufactures rep call the exterior panel the sacrificial pane. I don’t know of any other company that tempers their exterior pane.

I have never seen the Alside impact window.

Bill

RoseRx

#3 Post by RoseRx »

Bill,

Thanks for your reply. I have not heard too many positive comments about American Craftsman, although Simonton gets high marks from almost all. Unfortunately, some of the woodtone interior colors, grids, opaque glass w/ low-e, are not available from Simonton, which caused me to consider Alside. Alside seems to have a good reputation, although not as well known as Simonton. I would be interested in hearing from others as to their opinions of Alside vs Simonton.

RoseRx