Simonton StormBreaker Plus 300VL

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
RoseRx

Simonton StormBreaker Plus 300VL

#1 Post by RoseRx »

Are the Simonton StormBreaker Plus 300VL's triple pane windows? If so, what are the +'s & -'s vs dbl pane?

Bill

#2 Post by Bill »

The laminate glass package in the Storm Breaker Plus does consist of three pains of glass but you have only one air space. The inner pane is two pieces of double strength glass with the laminate sandwiched between the two and third pane of glass is tempered exterior panel.

With a triple pane glass system the third pane is centered creating two dead air spaces. I doubt you will ever see a fourth pane of glass added to an already extremely heavy laminate glass system.

The laminate glass blocks nearly 100% of UV rays and I would add the optional low-e/argon to improve the thermal efficiency.

Bill

RoseRx

#3 Post by RoseRx »

Bill,

Thanks for your comprehensive reply.

I am trying to decide between the Simonton StormBreaker Plus and the Alside Coastal Impact windows. According to what I have read on this site and others, the Simonton is one of the better mid-level windows. Unfortunately, it lacks some of the cosmetic options of the Alside.

Have you had any experience w/ Alside windows? I have not read many negative comments about them.

Glenn

Skydawggy

#4 Post by Skydawggy »

0700, Geneva, Centurian and Excalibur are junk IMO.

Ultra-Max, Sheffield are O.K. althought many people don't like the thick frame and sash on the Ultra-Max.

The Preservation sold under the ALS name is a pretty decent window too.

Not knocking Alside as a company, but the local distributer for our area is very poorly managed. We have had trouble in the past with getting orders correctly and the local warranty service is poor. I've not dealt with them on windows for a few years partly because of these problems.

We do buy a lot of siding from them, though.

RoseRx

#5 Post by RoseRx »

Skydawg,

It does seem like a lot of window companies carry Simonton, but only a few carry Alside, although I suppose most of them can get Alside. The warr on Simonton's h.cane impact glass window was a little better than Alside's Coastal impact window. In FL, when they replace your windows, they are just about required to install Dade Co approved impact resistant windows, although I hear they can cirmcumvent the law by installing 25% @ a time.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Skydawggy wrote:0700, Geneva, Centurian and Excalibur are junk IMO.

Ultra-Max, Sheffield are O.K. althought many people don't like the thick frame and sash on the Ultra-Max.

The Preservation sold under the ALS name is a pretty decent window too.

Not knocking Alside as a company, but the local distributer for our area is very poorly managed. We have had trouble in the past with getting orders correctly and the local warranty service is poor. I've not dealt with them on windows for a few years partly because of these problems.

We do buy a lot of siding from them, though.
Skydawg,

Where in VA are you located...?

Skydawggy

#7 Post by Skydawggy »

We cover Arlington, Fairfax, Loudon and Prince William.