Interstate windows installed. Correct or Incorrect?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
SteveP

Interstate windows installed. Correct or Incorrect?

#1 Post by SteveP »

I just recently had the vinyl interstate 6300 series double hung windows and a 3100 series patio door installed. The installer put in replacement windows and door without a nail fin. He cut back the vinyl siding removed the complete window and door with frame and installed the replacement between the sheetrock returns and NOT the rough opening which we had spoke and I expected.
As for the exterior finish work he put what I believe is 5/4 casing then capped that with aluminum and then caulked those areas.
The new j channel he installed is nailed into the side of the casing from the area where the siding fits into the j channel.
A few things I'm now seeing after a few weeks is :

1) The j channel in some areas is curling away from the casing and a gap is now starting to appear. Will this cause a leak and over time?

2) I had him remove the stool and the new window is measured to rest on the the bottom of rough opening but I can see a little daylight where the sheetrock return doesn't go all the way down because the stool was removed. Will this be a problem after I foam and trim the interior.

3) Under one of the windows the vinyl sididing was cut back about a 1/2 inch to much on the bottom corners and I can see the black felt paper. The installer says he will caulk that area. Any probs with that?

Thanks to all the pros out there if you can help. :shock: