Double vs. triple pane schucos

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jeffk79

Double vs. triple pane schucos

#1 Post by jeffk79 »

I recently received a quote from a very respectable and high statured windows installer in my chicago neighborhood. The quote was for:

Schuco 4000 series double hung

4 light oak interior
10 standard white vinyl

My question is this. Should I pay the extra money to get the triple pane w/ krypton? The quote I was given was about $6900 for the double pane argon filled with two coats of low e. Is there that much of a difference between the double and triple? I'm not sure how much more it will be, but I was pretty happy with this quote and think I might just go ahead and do it without even asking about triple pane. What does everyone think?

FenEx

#2 Post by FenEx »

Just a few problems.

First of all, you can't get 2Low-E surfaces on a double pane Schuco. Secondly, there is only one dealer in the Chicagoland market that would possibly quote that close to cost and they are not considered respectable or high statured... only through their own advertising.

Be careful.

jeffk79

#3 Post by jeffk79 »

Actually, I know the family who owns the business and they don't even advertise to my knowledge. They gave me a list of jobs they have done in the past and I called some of the people I knew on the list and they couldn't be happier. I believe they gave me a great quote because they really want to earn my business and I do have a family connection with them. Where is the business you are thinking of?

FenEx

#4 Post by FenEx »

Modified post. Good luck to you.

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

Go for the triple in your region. Heating resources are only going to keep going up and up!

riddlewh

Re: Double vs. triple pane schucos

#6 Post by riddlewh »

jeffk79 wrote:My question is this. Should I pay the extra money to get the triple pane w/ krypton?
How much extra money? $1? $1000?

jeffk79

#7 Post by jeffk79 »

For double panes it would be $6800 for 14 windows. If I go with triple it is $7480. I don't plan on being in this house for much longer. Should I save the few bucks or go for the triple krypton filled and a .19 u rating compared to the .28 rating for the double.