Alside Ultramaxx vs. Softlte Barrington, need help choosing.

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
rdruschel

Alside Ultramaxx vs. Softlte Barrington, need help choosing.

#1 Post by rdruschel »

I need some help on deciding between the follow windows. If anyone has any info on either of the windows it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Skydawggy

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

I'm not familiar enough with the Softlite to be of any help to you.

The Alside Ultra-Maxx is a pretty good window. The only downside is it has a very thick frame and sash. Some people don't like that because they feel it will reduce the amount of glass to an unacceptable level. OTOH some don't feel that's an important consideration. I'd make sure you see an actual sample of the window and then come to your own conclusions on it's aesthetics.

randy

#3 Post by randy »

Don't know anything about the SoftLite window either, but if you do a search for Alside on this site, you'll find that most of the pros here (including me) prefer the Alside Sheffield over the Ultra-Maxx.

They are basically the same window, with only one difference; the Sheffield has a sloped sill adaptor, and the Ultra-Maxx has a pocket sill. Sloped sills are much better for drainage. Pocket sills have a tendency to collect "gunk" in them, which has to be cleaned out periodically.

Good luck.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Barrington is Softlites intro window. Fairly nice piece but more comparable to the Excalibur.

Other than that, Randy's comments are right on.

Paul Tillson

Randy

#5 Post by Paul Tillson »

Why would anyone ever use anything but a sloped sill? It seems like a no brianer to eliminate areas that would collect debris.