Brick exterior on house, Do I need a frame built for windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
rdruschel

Brick exterior on house, Do I need a frame built for windows

#1 Post by rdruschel »

I have a brick house and one contractor tells me that he has to build a frame first and then cap with aliminum for the window. Another contractor tells me that he does not need to build a frame. Does anyone know which method is correct.? or does it depend on the window manufacturer.

Skydawggy

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

Depends on what type of window is in there now. If you have wood windows it's unlikely you'd need a wood frame built unless the wood is rotted.

If you have metal windows, it's more likely you would need a wood frame.

rdruschel

#3 Post by rdruschel »

Skydawggy wrote:Depends on what type of window is in there now. If you have wood windows it's unlikely you'd need a wood frame built unless the wood is rotted.

If you have metal windows, it's more likely you would need a wood frame.
I do have metal windows, single pane, and single pane storm windows.

Skydawggy

#4 Post by Skydawggy »

Is the inside sill of the window a metal pan? Most likely it is if your home is brick. If it is, the windows can be cut out leaving the metal pans, but I wouldn't recommend you go that way because there is the possibility of condensation forming on the pans if you live in a cold climate. Plus it just doesn't look as good as as an installation with the pans removed.

IMO, I'd have the pans removed and the opening reframed with wood. That will give the windows a better appearnce and increase the energy efficiency of the opening. The only downside is it will add to the cost of the installation. My deciding factor would be how long you plan on being in the house and how important the appearance is to you.

rdruschel

#5 Post by rdruschel »

Skydawggy wrote:Is the inside sill of the window a metal pan? Most likely it is if your home is brick. If it is, the windows can be cut out leaving the metal pans, but I wouldn't recommend you go that way because there is the possibility of condensation forming on the pans if you live in a cold climate. Plus it just doesn't look as good as as an installation with the pans removed.

IMO, I'd have the pans removed and the opening reframed with wood. That will give the windows a better appearnce and increase the energy efficiency of the opening. The only downside is it will add to the cost of the installation. My deciding factor would be how long you plan on being in the house and how important the appearance is to you.
I am not sure what you mean by metal pan. They are metal windows with marble sill. Please bear with me I am little confused maybe you can clear up, one contractor tells me that he has to saw zall my windows out then put up a new wood frame and then cap the wood frame with aluminum. The other says that does not need a wood frame and the windows will fit the opening no need for frame and capping. Thanks

Skydawggy

#6 Post by Skydawggy »

You most likely will need some frame modification. I can't imagine what the contractor who says he doesn't have to do any framing is going to install into? Hopefully not just the brick. I think you should ask him how he's going to attach the window.