Are these quotes reasonable? and a lot of other questions

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Leox

Are these quotes reasonable? and a lot of other questions

#1 Post by Leox »

I intend to replace 9 windows to double pane, double hung windows. I guess they are quite large. I live in Oklahoma city, OK.

3: 81 in x 46 inch
2: 94 x 34
2: 80 x 34.5
2: 21.5 x 40

Champion windows came in and said it is not good to have a 94"- height -window, and proposed to replace those 2 94" windows to one picture on the top and 2 DH at the bottom. So for a total of 1 picture and 9 double hung the price is $6926.

Another contractor came in and gave me a quote of $4900 for 9 simonton 5500, 7/8", Double hung window. He will back the labor for lifetime. My concern with him is that he is about to retire, and his company has only 3 employees. If he decides to retire next year, his company will very likely be dissolved. So the "life-time warranty for labor" seems not very useful at all.

I have a list of questions below. Please selectively answer any you think you like to discuss.

1. I don't have a third quote yet. Should I have more?

2. Is a 94" height DH window a bad choice?

3. I want to go with simonton 9800 instead of 5500 because the warranty is better for breakage (20 years Vs. 3 years). Does the glass breakage warranty cover the situation of accidental damage? (For example, I chip a rock to the window when I am mowing the lawn.) Champion said they will cover this kind of damage, but I don't know whether Simonton covers this even after I read the warranty carefully. Could anyone please tell me?

4. How much more expensive is an oversize window to a regular size window? Please give me a rough estimation like 20%, or 40%.

5. How much more expensive is Simonton 9800 to 5500?

6. For Simonton: What is "double strength glass?" What are the cons and pros for choosing 7/8" glass over 1" glass?

7. I checked with Simonton's local distributors; they provided me several contractors' names for window replacement. They said those contractors are very good and install a lot of Simonton windows. However, none of them can be found on BBB. Can I trust them?

8. What about the price for these two quotes?

If you can answer any of these question, please give me some suggestion. I really appreciate your help.

Bill

#2 Post by Bill »

That is exactly the type of breakage the Simonton warranty covers it would be considered accidental. When Simonton is presented with a warranty claim for breakage they do not begin an inquiry or fact finding mission to determine the cause they simply replace the sash. If you tried to receive replacement of several broken glass units that I’m sure would raise a red flag that a vandal or a fire was the cause and they may question it.

Double strength glass is thicker and stronger at 1/8” compared to single strength glass at 3/16”.

There is not much difference in insulating ability between 7/8’ IG and 1” IG but more importantly Simonton uses the better performing Super Spacer in their 1” IG and intercept in the 7/8” IG.

The price difference between the 5500 and the 9800 is about $60.00 per a window. If you upgrade the glass in the 9800 to the 1” Duel pane glass system (Sensor Glass) or triple pane ( Super Sensor Glass) your glass warranty will be lifetime for failure and breakage.

Bill

Leox

#3 Post by Leox »

Thanks Bill. I have learned a lot from your post.

It seems that for warranty concern I should upgrade my window to 9800 with 1" and super spacer then.

I may call more contractors because I am not sure about the price.