What window to go with?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jettafock

What window to go with?

#1 Post by jettafock »

I have got an estimate for 21 windows in my townhouse in Baltimore, MD for Simonton 6500 series windows for $13,700 and Alside Excalibur windows for $9,000. I have read on here that the Excalibur windows are not all that good. Are the 6500 good and is that a good price for them? Or should I still shop around? I would like to get in the $11,000 range for good windows that will last long and look good. Thanks for your help.

Skydawggy

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

Please remember that if you are asking if your quote is a good price that you need to provide more information such as the window size, options you are considering such as grids, full or half screen, what type of windows are being removed, if the price includes low E glass with Argon, what type of dealer warranties etc. These items can affect the price dramatically as can the part of the country you live in. (I got the Baltimore, MD).

Please don't make the mistake of shopping only based on price. We see too many installations that the homeowner has wasted their money on a cheap window or with a company who provided them with a lousy installation on a decent quality window. Ask for references from whomever you are considering. I'd recommend asking for as many as possible even if you don't intend on calling all of them. I'd also recommend visiting a couple of jobs and looking very closely at the workmanship.

The Simonton 6500 is a good quality window as is the 5500 and the 9800. Which one you decide on ultimately comes down to which one suits your needs the best.

jettafock

#3 Post by jettafock »

Would you say that the Simonton 6500 is a better window then the Alside Excalibure? As for what I was getting. They were both low E with Argon all windows had grids. I dont have any big windows. They are actually more on the small side. I am having the original windows replaced that are single pain wood windows with chains and wood grids.
I am getting more quotes this week. One from a buddy I just found out installs BF Rich windows and someone that installs Preservations.
Pretty much I would like to know what would be a good quality window that is higher on the mid level range. I dont want a crappy window, but I know I can't afford top of the line. Also, does anyone know of a good window installer in the Baltimore area?

Skydawggy

#4 Post by Skydawggy »

jettafock wrote:Would you say that the Simonton 6500 is a better window then the Alside Excalibure? As for what I was getting. They were both low E with Argon all windows had grids. I dont have any big windows. They are actually more on the small side. I am having the original windows replaced that are single pain wood windows with chains and wood grids.
I am getting more quotes this week. One from a buddy I just found out installs BF Rich windows and someone that installs Preservations.
Pretty much I would like to know what would be a good quality window that is higher on the mid level range. I dont want a crappy window, but I know I can't afford top of the line. Also, does anyone know of a good window installer in the Baltimore area?
IMO the Simonton 6500 is a better window than the Alside Excaliber. The BF Rich and Preservation are also worth considering. You are on the right path by looking at a few windows and deciding which one suits you best. Be very attentive to the comapny who would do the install. How long have they been installing windows, what experience does the individual installer have etc. I'd also get the installers name and ask for a few reference on his work.

Does your buddy have his own company or would he be moonlighting? If the latter, would he be willing to fix a problem that might come up 7 or 8 years from now? Just curious why you are asking if anyone knows a good installer? I thought your buddy installed windows?

jettafock

#5 Post by jettafock »

I believe he works for his dad who has been a BF Rich window install for 35 years. As for a good installer, my buddy is just a BF Rich installer. I guess I could get the windows from a company and just have him install them, if I don't want a BF Rich window. I'll be asking about what type of a warranty I would get if he installed them for me.

jettafock

#6 Post by jettafock »

Well I have got 2 more quotes. I can get the BFRich Cabernet windows for $11,000 or the BFRich Vintage for $9,960 installed by my buddy. I then just had a comanpy that installs Preservation windows. And their price was $13,900 installed for the triple pain. Is it worth the extra money for the Preservation triple pain windows? Also, how are the Preservation windows?

Skydawggy

#7 Post by Skydawggy »

I'm a little surprised the price you are getting on the Simonton is that high. I think you are getting a pretty good price on the BF Rich. The price for the Preservations triple pane is pretty reasonable IMO. The real question is are you going to live in the house long enough to justify another $2900 to $4000 for triple pane?. My opinion is that's too much considering where you live. Some will tell you it's worth the additional amount b/c utilities are going to skyrocket in the future. Maybe, maybe not, it's a judgement call you have to make. Personally, I'd skip the foam filled frame option and go with the double pane Soft-Coat Low E with argon if you are going with the BF Rich.

jettafock

#8 Post by jettafock »

Well it looks like I am going to go with the BFRich Cabernet window. I am going to change the basement ones to hoppers and my buddy is going to knock off $300 from the total. So now I will get them with soft-coat low E argon filled for $9,433. I don't think thats too bad of a price. As for the size of the windows, half are around 29x49 or 24x49. The biggest window is 36x49.