New Construction Windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Fabius

New Construction Windows

#1 Post by Fabius »

Hello All,

I hope it's okay to ask about new construction windows. We are building a chalet in Central Michigan. The front will have the maximum amount of windows possible. Our builder is recommending Anderson windows. Are there other window manufactures that have equal quality at reasonable prices? What type of windows would be recommended? From what I read in a northern location I'd want the double pane inert gas filled windows and that having Low-E windows isn't as critical as it would be in warmer locations. Any comments?

Thanks,

Tom

Skydawggy

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

I'd figure out what type of window material you want first. Wood, vinyl, fiberglass, a composite, some type of cladding etc. Don't get too dazzled by heavily advertised products either. There are many excellent manufacturers who don't do print or media advertising and many who do who have lots of problems. I start by actually going and looking at some windows first. Find something you like and then come back and ask questions.

traderjack

#3 Post by traderjack »

Hi Fabius, I too am building a new home in central California with SIP panels no less and have to cut the window openings my self so I am looking at a big project with a lot of windows. I haven't found a discussion board concerning new construction and windows, but have found a lot of good info here. Hope the search goes well or you. I am leaning toward Alpine or Milgard. Milgard has a factory about 100 miles from me and their customer service is supposed to be the best.

awardwindows

#4 Post by awardwindows »

Hello Fabius,

I'm writing in regards to the last part of your post where Low-E isn't as critical as it would be in warmer locations. This simply isn't the case.

With even just a base Low-E window, say a double glazed, single softcoat, with an argon fill you will notice a dramatic decrease in your winter heating bill. Although this is new construction so you won't have a comparison.

Going with low-E windows, in a cold climate is highly recommended, as it will reduce heating costs, convection currents, and increase overall comfort in the home. The company I work for supplies many windows for Alaska, Yukon, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, etc. These locations always go with low-E. Often they are using a triple glazed, dual softcoat Low-E with dual Argon gas fill. Such was the case when my company provided the windows for Extreme Makeover - Home Edition, on their Northpole, Alaska project.