Winchester (Bristol Windows)

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jas6142

Winchester (Bristol Windows)

#1 Post by jas6142 »

Does anyone have an opinion on these windows. Looking to replace all my windows, live in the midwest. Had a salesmen come in, and the windows are impressive, but expensive, I was wondering if there is one that is better for the buck.

FenEx

#2 Post by FenEx »

Schuco offers products that are superior, and depending on the dealer in your area, can even be less expensive. Winchester/Bristlol uses some old technology and have never impressed me.

Skydawggy

Re: Reply

#3 Post by Skydawggy »

FenEx wrote:Schuco offers products that are superior, and depending on the dealer in your area, can even be less expensive. Winchester/Bristlol uses some old technology and have never impressed me.
Just had a customer ask me about Bristol windows yesterday. What old technology are they using? I think they had an estimate from Ameritech iirc.

FenEx

#4 Post by FenEx »

Always willing to help a rookie.

Old technology:
- Aluminum reinforcement (Highly conductive, not properly broken)
- Block and Tackle balances (they used spiral forever, small step up)
- Pin-filled gas, Not vacuum (means they get about 80% at best)
- Rough fusion welds on sashes (Not shadow grooved)
- Mechanically fastened frames, not fusion welded
- Still using bogus energysavings pledge (Lying to consumers)
- Swiggle spacers (enough said)

Like I said previously... using 20 year old technology.

Skydawggy

#5 Post by Skydawggy »

Not a rookie, but not a "know it all" either. I've never seen the window and didn't know specifically what components you meant. Apparently the entire window is old technology. Quite a few companies were using those components when I first got in the business in 1992.

I'm actually pretty amazed that any manuf. is actually using all that old stuff in their windows. The amazing thing is the customer actually placed an order for 2 Bristol Bay windows and told me they were convinced it was a pretty "High Tech" window. :roll:

Thanks.