Does size matter?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
tater

Does size matter?

#1 Post by tater »

I am remodeling a walk in attic into a bedroom and have 6 small (24 x 29)
windows in 2 dormers.
While checking out the local home show bvrwf (before vinyl-replacement- windows forum) I was quoted a price on NuSash Prestige double hung low E
argon filled windows. But after reading this forum for a couple of months I felt that I owed it to myself to move up to the next level of window. So I went back to the Marvin dealer which carried the NuSash line and asked about the better frame and triple glass with krypton gas and was suprised when the salesman told me that with that size of window I would not be gaining much going from double to triple pane or even going to the heavier frame.
1. Does that make sense?
2. Have any of you pros heard of NuSash. Their web site boasts of some really high U-factors. Like .25 for low E argon and .10 for triple with krypton. Can these be right?
I live in Moline Il. same weather as Chicago.
No Schuco dealers in the area.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

The NuSash u-factor numbers are misleading as they are not the whole window u-factor numbers, they are for just the glass. Their NFRC u-factor numbers are not anywhere near that.

(The last I knew homeworkscentral.com was the dealer in Moline.)

tater

#3 Post by tater »

Thanks Window4U
I'll have to give them a call

tater

#4 Post by tater »

But I am still wondering if a smaller window opening reduces the value of a more effecient frame and glass options like the salesman told me?

InfoSponge

#5 Post by InfoSponge »

You don't need as thick a frame for small windows. In the small demo window models most showrooms/salespeople have, even fairly thin frames can be fairly sturdy. Personally, I don't like beefy frames on small windows due to glass loss (for example - the smaller sizes you often see above kitchen sinks, around 36x36, and yours are much smaller than that).

Your contact is kind of right that triple pane doesn't help your whole house efficiency as much for small windows. The reason is basically the obvious one - you have less glass area per window where you can gain/lose heat in small windows. All things equal, if you could only afford triple pane on some of your windows, I'd put it on your largest windows. Usually things aren't all equal though, so you'd also consider how much time you spend in each room, which windows get the most sunlight, size-based pricing, etc.

If you are in a regularly-below-freezing climate and there will be someone in that room fairly regularly, triple pane might still make sense, though.