advice sought on Simonton quote

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
dabsabre

advice sought on Simonton quote

#1 Post by dabsabre »

lots of good info here.. it's been a huge help.. I've got 2 quotes (one detailed, the other just a ballpark estimate) for Simonton 5500 and the Platinum Prism, which are basically the same window from what I understand. I'm in the DFW area in north Texas and from what I understand, our install costs here can very greatly from other areas of the country.

the quote is for 13 windows (11 DH, 2 slider and 1 arch). 2 of them are tempered glass.

windows sizes are pretty standard. nothing overly large (measurements in feet unless noted): 5x6, 3x5, 6x4 (2), 6x2, 5x4, 5x3 (4), 4x2, 3x2 and an arch that is 50 inches x 50 inches at its maximum.

the first quote was for the 5500 Reflections, double low-E insulated glass with the "solar package" and krypton gas. all windows are white vinyl with full screens and double latches where applicable, no grids. as for the details of the "solar package", I'd have to go back and check. I don't know if that includes the SuperSpacer or a reinforced meeting rail, or what. The contractor did talk about 2 of the panes being coated if that helps any. the quote came to $11,500 including install.

the ballpark estimate was on the Prism Platinum line and I was quoted around $450-$600 per window over the phone (I didn't have the size info on hand), including installation.

obviously, that's a huge price difference between the 2 quotes.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the above 2 quotes.