Noise Problem

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
gtf350

Noise Problem

#1 Post by gtf350 »

I live on the 4th floor of a busy street with an enormous amout of traffic noise complete with sirens blaring from every imaginable emergency vehicle. Consequently, I am looking for replacement windows that will cut down on the noise to some extent. My search has led me to Gorell and Simonton. One salesman told me I couldn't get Simonton because they only come in white vinyl and I need brown vinyl, at least on the outside. If anybody could tell me if I'm on the right track, or if there is another option I should consider, I'd appreciate it. I also have a door that leads out to the balcony. I understand that I won't be eliminate the noise entirely, but I'd be happy with at least 60-70%. Right now, there doesn't seem to be very much difference from when the windows are opened or closed. Thank you.

InfoSponge

#2 Post by InfoSponge »

My suggestions would be to get laminated double or triple pane glass and also find an experienced and careful installer. Airports often have laminated glass to cut down on noise. Depending on the windows you have now, good quality windows with laminated glass will usually make a huge difference in the noise levels. Good luck!

gtf350

#3 Post by gtf350 »

Thanks so much for your advice. The Gorell windows that I was shown were double pane laminated glass, plus an additional glass pane. So it sounds like I am on the right track.