I hear 'stay away from Champion". Tell me why.

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Pratt

I hear 'stay away from Champion". Tell me why.

#1 Post by Pratt »

So, my wife and I need the front living room window replaced (failed seal) that is SW facing in Idaho. Translation- lots of heat (upwards of around 100-110 in the summer) and sun!
We went out to Champion the other night, and we were pretty impressed by everything. The salesman was low key, didn't bash on competitors (my signal to walk out), and seemed very knowledgeable.
We had a local contractor come out a few years ago and had him replace three windows. They are LBL. We like them a lot, but we liked the features of the Champion better.
So, just don't say they stink or whatever. What are the reasons why some people don't like them.

I gotta admit, their warranty is great, and to my wife and I, that speaks volumes with any product.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Jim

91BlckGT

#2 Post by 91BlckGT »

I had champion out two nights ago to give me a quote. They had an impressive little demonstration where they used a heat lamp and a BTU meter, where they put their glass and their "competitors" glass in front of the meter reading 500. Most of the glass he showed me reduced the BTU to 260. The comfort 365 glass reduced it to 83. That was impressive.

But...

I ended up going to Gilkey, and saw the same demonstration. I was amused, because Gilkey somehow had swiped the Champion demo kit, but had their own glass there.

The system 4 read ~60, and the System 6 (which I went with) read ~40.

So overall, I got the vibe that the Champion product is OK (it's certainly not junk), but you can do better for the same price. Champion was $1000 more expensive than my Gilkey quote.

Although I went with Gilkey, I also was really close to going with Sugarcreek INdustrires (precision entry) integra windows. They are also built really well, and the price was great.

Pratt

#3 Post by Pratt »

Thanks, 91.
I'll check and see if there are any dealers out here.
Jim

p.s.- Just checked. I'm far from any dealer. They are just out East. Oh well.