Vinyl Windows Durability

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
gtf350

Vinyl Windows Durability

#1 Post by gtf350 »

I was told by an Andersen salesman that vinyl windows will not last and after ~ 5 years they'll be worn and not efficient. I'm trying to address a noise issue and he told me that over time the vinyl windows will allow the noise to seep through. He, of course, is pushing a window made from another material (a combination of vinyl and wood). I have been leaning toward Gorell with Armor Glass. Based on my research, the Gorell seems to be a quality product. Can anybody provide any input to the Andersen salesman's claim? Also, is the Gorell window as good as it sounds?

Thanks in advance.

Skydawggy

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

The Andersen salesman is lying to you. He obviously is desperate to make a sale and because of his poor sales skills, he has resorted to lies about competitors. Sad, really!

Gorell is a pretty good window. There are other good windows out there, too.

NewCondoOwnerVA

#3 Post by NewCondoOwnerVA »

Skydawggy wrote:The Andersen salesman is lying to you. He obviously is desperate to make a sale and because of his poor sales skills, he has resorted to lies about competitors. Sad, really!

Hi Skydawggy, what's your opinion of Gorell versus Softlite or Siminigton? My issue is also noise.

Paul Tillson

#4 Post by Paul Tillson »

That composite window by Anderson has been shredded by people on this board that know a lot more about it than me. As a result, I would stay away from it. Much better values are out there.

Skydawggy

#5 Post by Skydawggy »

NewCondoOwnerVA wrote:
Skydawggy wrote:The Andersen salesman is lying to you. He obviously is desperate to make a sale and because of his poor sales skills, he has resorted to lies about competitors. Sad, really!

Hi Skydawggy, what's your opinion of Gorell versus Softlite or Siminigton? My issue is also noise.
I don't know enough about Softlite to give a comparative opinion. My understanding is that is is worth considering. Simonton is another good window. I'd take a look at all 3.

JScott

#6 Post by JScott »

We have been using the armor glass when sound is an issue. It is a fair product in reducing noise. The best solution I have found is the sound control series made by Milgard; but, the cost is double.

gtf350

#7 Post by gtf350 »

Thank you both for your responses Skydawggy and Paul Tillson. Amazingly, the Andersen quote was close to double the quote I got from the Gorell salesman (~$7,700 for Andersen vs. $4450 for Gorell, for five 32 x 64 windows (approximately)). That's pretty substantial especially if you can believe Gorell's claims about the noise reduction properties of their Armor Glass®.