Schuco Sliding Patio Door

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
reindeeriv

Schuco Sliding Patio Door

#1 Post by reindeeriv »

I have two sliding glass doors that need replaced. I am considering the Schuco sliding doors..I haven't seen one so I thought I would come here for some feedback on the product or other recommendations. . My wife wants to replace the dining room slider with french doors, however, it is my understanding that Schuco does not make one. My doors appear to be a standard 6' in width. Opinions on a fair price range for a quality product like the Schuco would be appreciated. Thanks

reindeeriv

#2 Post by reindeeriv »

After nearly 40 views...I'm surprised nobody has commented on the Schuco patio door. Beginning to wonder if they're as popular as their windows. I just had their windows installed today and they are worth every penny I paid for them. Hopefully some of the Schuco dealers on here will comment on the doors. I'm thinking they're $2000-$3000...probably closer to $3000

FenEx

#3 Post by FenEx »

The best glasspack on the market. But the relatively new American Slider design has issues which I have addressed numerous times with Schuco corporate. I'd suggest waiting a bit and seeing how they address those issues.

reindeeriv

#4 Post by reindeeriv »

FenEX, I plan to have the doors in before winter arrives. Are your issues with the doors performance or security? If not Schuco, what sliding door do you recommend?

JScott

#5 Post by JScott »

The slider I saw in the mobil showroom I believe was the latest version or is this what is called the american version? I was under the impression the new release was from the european products just now being introduced. I could not get to Indy yesterday to see. The unit I saw was a very well built unit. What issues are there?

FenEx

#6 Post by FenEx »

The issues might seem relatively minor to some. The door is built like a German tank but it glides very nicely. The Issues are that the fixed panel needs to be installed into the masterframe before the frame is installed and therfore is not removable afterwards, nor does it have vertical or horizontal adjustments. The lockset has an unlocking lever on the inside and the outside??? To secure the door you must latch the lever and turn a knob on the inside to keep the lever from being opened from the exterior.

Other than that, it's a beautiful door... except for the three panel doors that do not as of yet have a screen receiver J-channel built into the center stile.

reindeeriv

#7 Post by reindeeriv »

FenEx...do you have any pics of the door that you can post? Can you give me an idea of what the door will cost? Thanks

reindeeriv

#8 Post by reindeeriv »

Does anybody have pics of the Schuco sliding patio door? Schuco's literature simply does nothing to highlight in detail the features of this door. Dealers in my area don't have a display door for me to look at.

Jimboramma

#9 Post by Jimboramma »

We just replaced all our windows with Schuco triple glaze, double low e glass and also had the patio slider installed.

Fenex is right, it's built like a tank. It's a very solid door and is built as good or better than the windows. It glides very easily and we can already notice the effect of the glass when the afternoon sun beats down on the door.

The latch on the inside and out is nice as it ensures the door is closed when you're going out. I'm not too fond of the locking mechanism though. It's a round nob that you turn three times to lock and unlock. It takes a little getting used to because our old slider was locked when we lowered the latch, but with this one it's not. It comes with three keys so you can unlock it from the outside too.

The only thing I don't like about the door is the sliding screen door. I was expecting a step up in quality, but it's really no better than my old Anderson screen door. The locking mechanism on the screen door is not very good either. The screen door glides well and closes tightly, but it just doesn't have the feel of quality I expected. Maybe I'm being too critical.

I don't have any pictures to upload and frankly don't know how to do that. Sorry.

Overall it's a great door and I'm glad I had it installed. If you're going to install Schuco in the rest of the house it only makes sense to fill the largest hole you have with Schuco glass too.

usmarine0352

#10 Post by usmarine0352 »

The Schuco Patio Door is all new and a great design. It is built like a tank, but amazenly slides very easily.

Most of the problems that Fenex stated are problems for installers, and come in to affect if you ever need to replace the sash. These are not problems that a customer will incur. (He is right that they could be improved though).

I can understand the problems with the lock, b/c it seemed very strange to me too.

I would not let any of these things stop me from putting a Schuco in. My parents had Schuco's put in their home and I can tell you the sun used to just beat thru their old single pane windows. Now that sun is blocked in the winter and summer, which is nice, because it used to get so hot. Obviously, a patio door is a huge piece of glass area and should be replaced with the best you can afford.

reindeeriv

#11 Post by reindeeriv »

Thanks for your response Jimboramma. Security is a big issue with me so I will ask you your opinion on that as well. It looks as if I may have to purchase these two doors without seeing them. My doublehung, triple pane, double low e, kryton filled windows with grids and pal locks were $680 each installed and wrapped. I live in central Virginia so based on my window prices compared to yours...what do you think the doors will cost me.

Henry5

#12 Post by Henry5 »

reindeeriv, Here is a video of Schuco's European Line. It shows the door...

http://www.box.net/shared/static/9p94xkrajv.wmv

Jimboramma

#13 Post by Jimboramma »

The "American" door in the video is not the same as the one I just had installed. They showed the same locking mechanism and the rails looked the same, but mine has a different handle. My handle is white and it doesn't turn and there's a black latch that moves up or down to engage or disengage. I also have a knob under the handle on the inside that locks the door and a keyhole on the outside.

The door is built very well and when locked I believe it's more secure than any other slider I've ever seen. The only problem we're having is remembering to lock it. Our old door was locked when we closed the latch. This one requires to turn the knob and I'm sure we'll get used to it.

reindeeriv

#14 Post by reindeeriv »

Thanks guys...I guess it's time for me to place my order. Do you think $2800 each is a fair price for having two doors installed? If anyone has additional comments or pics, please post.

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#15 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

$5600.00 For two 6' doors, rather high. Very good door but there are quite a few very good doors. Since your writing the check tell your dealer $5000.00 for the pair, I'm sure they can live with that.