Concealed J Window Wrap

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
PK

Concealed J Window Wrap

#1 Post by PK »

Hey Ive been noticing one of the high end contractors around here has been doing replacements and siding, when they wrap the brickmould around the window they do a concealed J I have no problem bending any of this I am just lost at how to handle the sill?? how do you make that transition does anyone have any photos where this was done that I could study? In other words I want to side a house with traditional 908 casing and sill without having a visible J channel. Thanks

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

If this is what you mean...... I run the side down just past where the bottom of the sill will be, then put the sill on last. This runs the water coming down the side right out the bottom. I bend the edge of the sill only far enough to meet up with the side. The sill also has a j built in underneath. The main thing is to mechanically flash by folding flaps. Don't rely on caulk. I also use window flashing tape when I do mine and treat it like I would a fin window installation.

PK

#3 Post by PK »

Thanks A LOT!!! thats awesome I guess my only question is since the sill ears have to line up with the outside edge of the new aluminum brickmould/J the extreme ends of the sill are going to be hollow? So how do you hold your tabs on the ends of the sill in place since you have no where to nail into? I gotta say that is the Nicest version I have seen. I'm kinda a nerd when it comes to trim wrap I'm so tempted to ask one of the other companies customers if i could inspect one of their windows to see it up close. It is certainly an awesome selling point for siding jobs to eliminate as much J as possible