Windows and Siding: Which one do I install first?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Jimboramma

#1 Post by Jimboramma »

Hello all,

After lurking here for a couple of weeks, and getting a very good education on windows in the process, I'm about to purchase 20 Schuco Corona 4000 windows and a slider. I'll post the details another time, but for now I have a question I hope someone can help me with.

Unfortunately, my installer does not sell or install siding. My siding is old aluminum siding that is in terrible shape and must be replaced. Everyone I spoke to says I should install the windows first and the siding second. Is that the consensus here?

My next question is regarding the wrapping. Is wrapping the same as capping? My window installer thinks it would be best to have the siding installer wrap the windows. One of the siding installers agreed, so I'm tempted to believe them, but since many of you do both I was wondering what you thought? My concern is that if the window installer wraps the windows the wrapping may get damaged when the existing siding is removed. I'd rather have the window installer do the wrapping, but this just isn't going to be possible.

I've also read here that the wrapping should be aluminum. Is this how it is always done? If I have the siding installer wrap my windows are there certain things I should specify to ensure it's done correctly? How much can I expect to pay in labor and materials per window assuming 20 DH less than 100 ui?

Thanks.

Skydawggy

Re: Windows and Siding: Which one do I install first?

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

Jimboramma wrote:Hello all,

After lurking here for a couple of weeks, and getting a very good education on windows in the process, I'm about to purchase 20 Schuco Corona 4000 windows and a slider. I'll post the details another time, but for now I have a question I hope someone can help me with.

Unfortunately, my installer does not sell or install siding. My siding is old aluminum siding that is in terrible shape and must be replaced. Everyone I spoke to says I should install the windows first and the siding second. Is that the consensus here?
Yup, windows first. I'd have the siding guys out the day after the windows are done.

My next question is regarding the wrapping. Is wrapping the same as capping? My window installer thinks it would be best to have the siding installer wrap the windows. One of the siding installers agreed, so I'm tempted to believe them, but since many of you do both I was wondering what you thought? My concern is that if the window installer wraps the windows the wrapping may get damaged when the existing siding is removed. I'd rather have the window installer do the wrapping, but this just isn't going to be possible.
Wrapping and capping are the same. It shouldn't make any difference who does the capping but the capping is generally included in the price of the window installation and an extra charge by the siding company. If you decide to have the siding company cap the windows, I'd get some kind of adjustment on the window price.

Ideally, try to get the window company to coordinate theie installation with the siding guys.
I've also read here that the wrapping should be aluminum. Is this how it is always done? If I have the siding installer wrap my windows are there certain things I should specify to ensure it's done correctly? How much can I expect to pay in labor and materials per window assuming 20 DH less than 100 ui?

Thanks.
The prefered material for capping is vinyl coated aluminum coil. I prefer the G-8 coil by Alside. I would get an adjustment of $50-$60 per window from the window company or you could just ask the siding compamy how much they charge and ask the window company to give you that amount as a credit.

Jimboramma

#3 Post by Jimboramma »

Thanks for the quick reply. Your response is very helpful. The window installer did not include wrapping in the quote because we discussed this up front. My preference would be to have one contractor do both, but I feel real good about my window installer and at this point wouldn't want anyone else to do the job.

Guy

#4 Post by Guy »

Since your going to do siding and windows you shouldn't need any wrap. The only thing you'll need is a drip cap above each window. This would be the case only if you order your new windows come with a nail fin. Doing a new construction application (or total replacement) would be the best application here. If your doing inserts and keeping your old frames then a wrap will be the only other option.

When we do this type of application we remove all the old siding first. The house is then wrapped with a house wrap such as Tyvek. Then we install the windows using a new construction application. This way you can get the best seal by back caulking the nail fin and taping off the fins. If you have the option of getting your windows as a full frame replacement go for it.

If you get inserts then who ever caps it needs to make sure they cap the windows first. Just have them run their capping back along the wall like flashing. Then your new siding can go over this flap offering some great protection. Good Luck!!!

Jimboramma

#5 Post by Jimboramma »

Thanks for the information; it's very helpful. We're installing replacements and keeping the existing frames. The windows will go in first and the siding immediately afterwards.