Windows - tough game to play. Leaning towards Infinity

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
mx818

Windows - tough game to play. Leaning towards Infinity

#1 Post by mx818 »

I have taken months to try and decide what to do. Need to replace all windows and this is a tough game when you start digging in and doing some research.

I have 12 window openings consisting of 16 casements, 2 picture windows and 6 transoms. (24 windows) None of the windows are of standard size.

1 large triple slider patio door.

Quotes:
Pella from Pella Architect Series with full replacement and no stain: $34,000
Pella from Lowes - version of Archetect full replacement/ no stain : $22,000
Renewal w/pine vaneer no stain : $25,000
Schuco with full replacement and no stain : $44,000
Marvin Infinity with everwood and full replacement and stain : $22,600
Home Depot Sequel - would only give quote in person. Told them
to fax and never heard back from them.
Hayfield - Vinyl insert replacement no stain : 12,000 - $15,000
Alside Excaliber - full replacement with stain : $17,000

I am leaning towards the Marvin Infinity Quote as the installer has been recommended to me and the quote is a little lower than most.
Does this quote sound like it is reasonable?

I personally rated the windows as such? Do you agree?
1. Schuco
2. Infinity
3. Pella
4. Renewal
5. Alside
6. Hayfield

Your comments appreciated?
Thanks

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#2 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

When you refer to full replacement with stain, do you mean the new trim or the entire window, as a Excalibur is all vinyl and not stainable. Your assessment of the quality and rank is pretty good although there are many here that might argue the order. The Infinity, because it's fiberglass has a number of quality issues you did not mention. It's strength because it's fiberglass will give you many years of good service beyond most vinyls and obviously the price is right. Another good window is the Milgard fiberglass with a natural wood interior, but I doubt they can compete price wise with the Marvin.
My point about the stain is if it is included in the Infinity that makes it a real value because Everwood is a synthetic product and more difficult to stain than real wood and needs more drying time between coats. None the less it's a very good product.

mx818

#3 Post by mx818 »

Thank you for your reply.
For the Excaliber the stain was for the trim. For the Infinity it is for the window and the trim.
Thanks for the info.

Paul Tillson

#4 Post by Paul Tillson »

It seems to me that if Schuco is going to charge that much you could probably get Aluminum clad wood windows from Marvin. I had Marvins in my last home and they were fantastic.