9 New Windows, 2 Show Condensation

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
DerbyDad03

9 New Windows, 2 Show Condensation

#1 Post by DerbyDad03 »

History:

Back in September I installed a total of 9 Simonton Bronze DH windows in 5 rooms. The bathroom had a VRW DH installed about 2 years ago. The living room still has 2 wooden single panes with storms.

It's been damp and rainly over the last few days and the furnace has come on every now and then during that time.

Current situation:

Yesterday morning I noticed that 2 of the new windows, both in the same bedroom and the only 2 windows in that room, had about a 1/2 inch of condensation on the bottom of all 4 panes. None of the other windows, old or new had condensation.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of differences between the rooms involved -Shades and drapes closed tight in one room without condensation, open mini-blinds in the room with condensation. Another room with no window coverings and considerably cooler than the others - no condensation. Upstairs vs. downstairs, etc.

Anyway, should I be concerned that there is an issue with these 2 windows or could it be factors related to that bedroom that caused the condensation?

Thanks!

bplatosz

#2 Post by bplatosz »

Depends on the humidity in the room. Do you have a humidifier running?

From the Simonton site:

Q. What causes condensation on windows?

A. Condensation, or "sweating," is a natural occurrence on all windows and is caused by excess humidity, or invisible water vapor, present in the air. When this water vapor comes in contact with a surface which is at a cooler temperature, the vapor turns to visible droplets of moisture.

Each Simonton window has many features built in to keep the temperature of the glass as warm as possible and thus reduce condensation. Our insulating glass units provide superior energy efficiency to reduce the potential for condensation. However, there is no such thing as a condensation-free window in high humidity conditions. Controlling the amount of moisture in your home is the most effective action you can take to avoid condensation.

shamu

#3 Post by shamu »

Continue to monitor the windows. Condensation,as you described, is very common at this time the year. Many times this is just a temporary condition until the humidity level evens out and your furnace begins to run more consistently. The fact that condensation is occurring is not always bad sign. The condensation is a sign that your windows are actually keeping the warm, moist air inside and not letting it out. Your home will find other ways to vent the humidity out.

DerbyDad03

#4 Post by DerbyDad03 »

Thanks for the responses.

There is no humidifier being used in the house so if it is indeed simply a matter of excess humidity, it maybe limited to just this one room.

It's the smallest of the rooms in question and it houses 2 adults and a dog. We all sleep with our doors closed, so I'll go with the fact that the 3 of us are creating enough humidity in a small space to cause the condensation.

Thanks again!

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#5 Post by Window4U (IL) »

This is why I sell quality triple pane windows with multiple layers of Low-e and krypton gas.

I got REALLY tired of having the phone ring off the hook with these questions about condensation from November to March. I no longer have to spend time and energy sending booklets from the manufacturer out to customers explaining why their brand new 'Energy Star' windows are dripping water.

While triple doesn't guarantee no condensation on the inside, it definitely makes it much harder for it to form. Plus, you don't have to dry the air in your home out to nosebleed levels to keep the condensation off the windows.

I'm happy to say I haven't had an interior condensation complaint from a customer in years.