Simonton 5500 Pricing

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
two-timer

Simonton 5500 Pricing

#1 Post by two-timer »

To all you long-term posters and very knowledgeable folks out there: Bill, Randy, Window4U, FenEx - and I'm sure there are others I may have unintentionally left out...

To the average homeowner, even after perusing these boards for days/weeks, manufacturers websites, NFRC site, going to the showrooms to put "hands on", plus all the other stuff out there... trying to pin down replacement windows seems to be more elusive than buying another car! You folks have been a godsend when it comes to slicing through a lot of the smoke and mirrors - yes, even when "gently" disagreeing with others. Thank You!

Now - on to my query... It looks like I'll be going with Simonton 5500s (Reflections) to replace my nearly 30 year-old double-hung, double pane wood windows on my all cedar-sided (barn-red stained) rancher. I was going to go with the Alside Sheffield initially, until I looked at both and identified some of the comparisons (and saw the greater percentage of folks like you rating it on a higher level!). It took some convincing after the initial immediate denial, but I guess vinyl replacements won't really look that bad. I have a few sills to replace, along with some brickmolding which has begun to rot... but nothing huge.

I was wondering, with everything being a bit different depending on location and what the market will bear, is there a "ballpark average" that one would anticipate paying for let's say a 32 x 48 double hung, Argon, no-grids, LowE type window? I know that various options can raise the price per window, but a basic "estimated cost"?

Secondly - and I believe I read it a couple times on some of your posts - would a figure of approximately "100.00 per window" be an average figure for installation (not including any "extra" work like repairing/replacing sills, etc) to include wrapping, insulating, and all the other usual tidbits - cleanup, etc.? I have seen posts on this board which seem to vary widely. I completely understand the issues of businesses needing to make a profit and that better installers are like better carpenters (they can command a better fee), but it would be comforting to see if a contractor is close to the mark or "way out there"...

I realize there are many variables out there - size of business, overhead, etc. I think I would rather pay someone I trusted a higher "percentage" for a better installation, and that the person would be around in several years if a problem developed. This all demands the higher level of installation costs than some of the "outfits" you all have referred to from time to time... I certainly don't mind paying that for the peace of mind; but, just like the "average Joe", I don't want to get taken advantage of.

Folks, please keep up the good work. This discussion board is GREAT! :D

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#2 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

Typically the install is not isolated in the window pricing but included. Remember reputable dealer and good installers make things flow properly. I don't reccomend buying the window from one source and hiring the installer separately, as it makes no one totally responsible for any problems. The price range on that size should be from $350.00-$450.00 plus any labor extras and cladding. Depending upon the size of you job your barganing power price wise varies. Good luck.

randy

#3 Post by randy »

You should be able to get a basic Simonton 5500 installed for around $400.00 - $500.00 each.

Part of the disparity in pricing that is found here on the boards is due to the installation differences. For instance, up north, the installation is almost always in wood framing, while down here in the south, we are typically setting the windows into brick openings.

two-timer

Simonton 5500s

#4 Post by two-timer »

Thanks Guys!

I had my thoughts around those figures, based on some earlier estimates for installing at the UltraMaxx/Sheffield level, and you have confirmed that. I appreciate the assistance. Seeing some of the posts on this board gave insights to differences based on siding/brick install. I'm hoping that the installers won't have to rip up the cedar siding (it's not easy to replace and get to "blend in" with the rest). But if it comes to that, maybe I can just get some wider trim boards to go around (only has brickmold now) and see how the cladding goes. Looks like the vinyl/PCV covered aluminum is pretty much "standard" for this area...

I'll let you know how it turns out (just in case others have similar questions). Thanks again... :P