drafty windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
netmouse

drafty windows

#1 Post by netmouse »

I have draft around the sashes on some double hung replacement windows installed. The manufacturer is sending weather stripping rolls to the installer and they will replace the weather stripping by hand. There is a 1/4 inch or so gap at the corners of the sashes where the weather stripping does not meet. The installer said this due to the fact that they used to insert weather stripping by hand, but now do so by machine and it is not as good a job.

I had paid for the windows, but had one large casement window installed later. I have withheld the only money I could - the final payment of about $500 on the casement until the above is done. Because this is summer, I will not really know if the air leak problems are resolved until the middle of winter in a good storm. Can I withhold the $500 until the winter "test" is completed and there is no air leak? Reading posts here there could be other issues affecting air drafts.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

It sounds like you are a fair minded person by the fact you are asking this question, so let's go over your reasoning and intentions.
It sounds like the installer did his job well and you have it nailed down to a factory issue, not an installation issue. So.... you are trying to decide if come winter and the windows still have a small air leak because of a manufacturing problem, will you financially punish the innocent installer by taking his money?

Unless this is your intention, then I would think paying him for his labor and using the lifetime warranty you have from your manufacturer as well as his labor warranty to solve your problems would be the fairer action. If this is an issue of poor installation and is not a factory issue, then of course my advice would be different.

On a positive note, the manufacturer you picked is very good at taking care of their problems and I am sure will even make you new sashes if necessary if the new weatherstripping doesn't solve the problem.
Good luck to you. I am sure you will see positive results.

netmouse

#3 Post by netmouse »

Thanks for your reply. I do note that some of the possible problems for air leak can be installation. I think we are just solving the obvious problem first. In winter if air leaks continue then it could be either installation or manufacturer related. I'm even thinking if the issue continues to have an energy audit review this independently per another post here.

InfoSponge

#4 Post by InfoSponge »

You shouldn't need to wait until winter to check for serious air leaks. Put a fan outside blowing against the window at a reasonable speed and distance to simulate some wind. Then light an incense stick (4th of July fireworks punk, cigarette, etc.) and run it around the problem areas inside and check for air movement using the smoke. You could even have this ready and run the test with the installer present.